Skip to main content
Unit of study_

Molecular Plant Biology - BIOL3029

Year - 2020

Having diverged from animals prior to the evolution of multicellularity, plants also provide us with a unique opportunity to discover how environmental adaptability and productivity features are enabled at the molecular level. This unit of study explores the molecular mechanisms that give rise to plant form and function, focussing on higher plants. By examining current literature, students will advance their knowledge of how plants grow, develop and adapt, in the context of the molecular mechanisms that plants use to drive, form, function and responses to the environment. There is a focus on how this knowledge is being used to improve plant performance and better manage ecosystems. The new tools available to biologists are giving us an unprecedented capacity to understand the fundamentals of life. The skills developed in this unit will enable you to play a role in designing better ways to manage plants and ecosystems.

Classes
Lectures 2hrs/week for 13 weeks, Practicals 1 x 3hr practical/week for 13 weeks

Assessment
Laboratory eNotebook - (Week 5 x 5% + Week 13 x 5%, total = 10%), Research paper (2500 words, 20%), Oral presentation (20%), Final Exam (50%)

Textbooks
Schumann GL and Darcy CJ. 2010. Essential Plant Pathology (2nd ed.). APS Press, St Paul, Minn., USA.

Pre-requisites

6cp of BIOL2X23 or BIOL2X30 or BIOL2X31 or BCMB2X0X or GEGE2X01 or MBLG2X72 or GENE2002

Details

Faculty: Science

Semester 2

03 Aug 2020

Department/School: Life and Environmental Sciences Academic Operations
Study Mode: Normal (lecture/lab/tutorial) day
Census Date: 31 Aug 2020
Unit of study level: Senior
Credit points: 6.0
EFTSL: 0.125
Available for study abroad and exchange: Yes
Faculty/department permission required? No
Location
Camperdown
More details
Unit of Study coordinator: A/Prof Brian Jones
HECS Band:
Courses that offer this unit

Non-award/non-degree study If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student. Cross-institutional study If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to undertake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.

To help you understand common terms that we use at the University, we offer an online glossary.