Skip to main content
Unit of study_

The Science of Sexuality - OLET1662

Year - 2020

Sex and sexuality have fascinated people throughout the ages. Ample literary works, theological and moral musings, philosophical accounts, social discourse, and popular presentations of various aspects of sexuality, its related behaviours, and their underlying meaning have been communicated for a wide variety of purposes. People's curiosity about sex seems to know no bound. These accounts are fascinating from a theoretical and conceptual point-of-view; they also have very important practical implications for the society as a whole as well as individuals' mental health and wellbeing. The present unit will provide a sample of the rich research on sex and sexuality, with a special focus on issues relevant to young adults. The content will be structured around recent theoretical and empirical research spanning intrapersonal, interpersonal, inter-group, and societal effects of various relevant research related, among others, to sexual orientation, various sexual behaviours (e. g. , aggression), gender differences, and others. Content delivery will be varied throughout incorporating multimedia, qualitative accounts, quantitative studies, cutting edge theories, and popular media all designed to make you well informed on the one hand and personally reflective on their your expression of sexuality.

Classes
8 online-only modules

Assessment
5 x online quizzes (5% each, 25% total), video assignment (25%), final exam (50%)

Details

Faculty: Science

Intensive April

23 Mar 2020

Department/School: Psychology Academic Operations
Study Mode: Online
Census Date: 10 Apr 2020
Unit of study level: Junior
Credit points: 2.0
EFTSL: 0.042
Available for study abroad and exchange: Yes
Faculty/department permission required? No
Location
Camperdown
More details
Unit of Study coordinator: Ilan Dar-Nimrod
HECS Band: 1
Courses that offer this unit

Non-award/non-degree study If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student. Cross-institutional study If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to undertake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.

To help you understand common terms that we use at the University, we offer an online glossary.