Skip to main content
Unit of study_

Multivariate Data Analysis - OLET5610

Year - 2020

When undertaking research and critically judging the research of others with many variables, a key approach is use of multivariate data analysis. This online unit provides comprehensive skills essential for postgraduate students doing multivariate data analysis and for critically judging the research of others. We focus on the underlying principles you need to explore multivariate data sets and test hypotheses. In so doing, the unit provides you with an understanding of how multivariate research is designed, analysed and interpreted using statistics. The unit will cover the commonly used multivariate data analyses of principal components analysis, cluster analysis, discriminant functions analysis and non-metric multidimensional scaling, as well as parametric and permutational hypothesis testing techniques. Examples of data will be cross-disciplinary, enabling students from many disciplines to appreciate the techniques. Analyses will use the R statistical environment, furthering student skills in this programming environment. By doing this unit, you will be able to use multivariate data analyses using a wide-range of data and present in a format for publication.

Classes
online lecture and practical material, 4 hours face-to-face classes

Assessment
2 x online quizzes (12.5% each, total 25%), 2 x online quizzes (15% each, total 30%), 'methods and results' report (45%)

Details

Faculty: Science

Intensive June

25 May 2020

Department/School: Life and Environmental Sciences Academic Operations
Study Mode: Online
Census Date: 12 Jun 2020
Unit of study level: Postgraduate
Credit points: 2.0
EFTSL: 0.042
Available for study abroad and exchange: No
Faculty/department permission required? No
Location
Camperdown
More details
Unit of Study coordinator: A/Prof Mathew Crowther
HECS Band: 2
Courses that offer this unit

Non-award/non-degree study If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student. Cross-institutional study If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to undertake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.

To help you understand common terms that we use at the University, we offer an online glossary.