Photograph of the pharmacy lecture theatre door

5 reasons to study pharmacy at the University of Sydney

9 February 2017
Why should you study at Australia's first pharmacy school?
We asked our current students and alumni why they chose to study pharmacy at the University of Sydney, here are their top 5 reasons.

1.  Diverse range of career opportunities

Most people assume that there is only one career outcome when you study pharmacy, but studying pharmacy can lead to more than simply becoming a pharmacist. Pharmacists are an important part of the healthcare system. Their skills and knowledge can be applied across a range of careers, allowing for employment opportunities in community pharmacy, hospital pharmacy, academic or research institutions and the pharmaceutical industry.

Take Abbie Lawrie, Bachelor of Pharmacy graduate from 2009 who is now working for GlaxoSmithKline, "Working in finance for GSK has allowed me to combine my pharmacy background with my interest in finance and business. I chose to work in the "business side" of healthcare because of the opportunities it has provided me to work internationally, experience different roles and positively impact people's lives on a large scale."

I love the different opportunities that the degree offers its graduates – the ability to move from one specialty to another, industry positions and extensive research and teaching opportunities.
Reham Raid Mansour Soro, MPharm first year

2.  Placement opportunities

"I have had the privilege of working in city, metropolitan and rural community pharmacies as well as clinical placement in a pharmaceutical company. I would say that clinical placement was the most valuable part of my degree, thanks to the great support and guidance I received from my preceptor. It's so satisfying to go to work in the afternoon and apply the skills and knowledge I had only just learned that morning during class." Ardi Mirzaei, BPharm 2013.

To prepare you for the workforce, the Sydney Pharmacy School offers students a range of clinical and rural work placements. Clinical placements are important to put theory into practice in community, hospital, rural or industrial settings.

3.  Unique curriculum with a focus on practical experience underpinned by world-class research

You will learn from world-leading academics that teach a unique course curriculum focused on all practical and theoretical areas of pharmacy to prepare you for the workforce. The Sydney Pharmacy School is ranked 18th in the QS World University Rankings by Subject for pharmacy and pharmacology and has a proven record in teaching and learning excellence.

"My positive experience undertaking research during my undergraduate honours year encouraged me to pursue further studies in pharmaceutical research. I have always been fascinated with the human body but what really inspired me was trying to find a way to improve quality of life." Samuel Ho | BPharm 2011, PhD 2016.

4.  Professional network and support

School staff are dedicated to supporting the learning opportunities of all pharmacy students. As a pharmacy student, not only will you be part of a cohesive and supportive cohort, you will also receive support from world-leading academics in deciding on career pathways, clinical placements research opportunities and general guidance throughout your degree.

The Sydney Pharmacy School has a great sense of community. You are taught by academics with backgrounds from all different fields of pharmacy.
Cassandra Cameron, MPharm 2013

The Sydney University Pharmacy Association (SUPA) is one of the larger student societies on campus, organising regular academic, professional and social activities. SUPA members also gain membership to the National Australian Pharmacy Students Association (NAPSA).

5.  Make a difference in the healthcare system

"I chose pharmacy because I want to equip myself with the knowledge and skills required to make a meaningful contribution to the Australian healthcare system. The course combines my interest in chemistry and mathematics with my passion to address social and health-related challenges." Melissa Barakat, BPharm 2015.

A career in pharmacy means making a difference to the Australian healthcare system. Whether you are working directly with patients and their families in community pharmacy or in a hospital setting or research in an academic or professional institution, your career will have a meaningful impact on Australian healthcare.