I study pharmacy: Meena Eld

9 October 2017
5 minutes with an undergraduate pharmacy student
Meet Meena, a Bachelor of Pharmacy student who has been involved in numerous school and university events since starting her degree. Find out more about what it is like to study pharmacy at the University of Sydney.

Why did you choose your degree?

I've always been interested in pursuing a career in healthcare and finding a way to give back to the community.

Were you always interested in the Bachelor of Pharmacy program?

I remember looking up the Bachelor of Pharmacy degree at the University of Sydney when I was in the early stages of high school. It has been my goal ever since.

What subjects did you do for your HSC?

• Advanced English
  • Advanced maths
  • Studies of religion
  • Biology
  • Ancient history
  • Community and family studies

What's your favourite unit of study at the moment?

Oncology is definitely my favourite unit. I've always been interested in cancer and how to treat it.

What does your typical day at uni look like?

As a third year student, I tend to have a tutorial in the morning and then a break, which is where we get to hang at the bar or on the lawns, and then a lecture block. It's a good balance to the day.

What surprised you most about this degree?

The year group is really close because we all spend so much time together in lectures and tutorials so you make really good friends.

How does university compare to high school?

Uni has a lot more freedom than high school. A lot of the time your lecturers and tutors are your friends too.

Have you been involved in anything outside the classroom?

We do a lot of faculty sports where we verse other faculties and it can get really competitive, but it's always really fun. We also get placements throughout the degree which give us a real insight into what its like working in the field.

What are your future career plans?

I hope to get involved in the oncology unit in a hospital or maybe get involved in research looking into treatments for cancer.

Any advice for someone who is thinking about applying for this degree?

Definitely look into the program that University of Sydney offers. It's great and if you feel passionately about it you wont be disappointed.