From Computer Engineer in Silicon Valley to Rural Generalist GP in Broken Hill

11 October 2024
Dr Josh Crase is a Rural Generalist GP and Senior Medical Officer for Maari Ma Aboriginal Health Service in Broken Hill
Josh Crase’s decision to study medicine came after a successful career in computer engineering. But an increasing desire to help others living with chronic disease, such as diabetes and obesity, led him to change course in a dramatic way.
Josh Crase

Dr Josh Crase, Graduate Certificate in Medicine (Metabolic Health) alumnus

Choosing a Rural pathway was an obvious direction for Josh, who grew up in Broken Hill in far west NSW.

But like many, he left his hometown after finishing high school to attend university and gain global experience.

After completing a Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Systems) with Honours, Josh worked for six years as a computer engineer for Sun Microsystems in the United States.

“While I enjoyed computer engineering, I found myself drawn towards medicine,” says Josh.

“My mother had a lot of health problems related to diabetes. My father and grandparents also had diabetes. I was nearly diabetic myself in my early twenties. I found learning about diabetes from the medical literature engaging and wanted to apply my problem solving skills to help patients with complex chronic disease in rural and remote Australia”.

Changing course

Back in Australia, Josh attained a Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) with Honours while living in Melbourne.

He then undertook PGY1-2 training at Ballarat Base Hospital, then further training to complete the Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (FRACGP) in rural locations including Ballarat, Creswick, Clunes and Mildura.

Josh completed additional advanced training in Palliative Medicine and also attained the FRACGP-RG (Rural Generalist) fellowship.

In 2020, Josh completed the Graduate Certificate in Medicine (Metabolic Health) from the University of Sydney. The course teaches clinicians advanced skills to help people manage diabetes, obesity and associated cardiovascular conditions and complications.

A big driver of Josh’s decision to return to Broken Hill was to improve access to GP level care.

“Rural and remote Australia has an increased proportion of patients living with diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular disease and who also experience poorer health outcomes," reflects Josh.

"Rural and remote patients have reduced specialist access and support. I wanted to learn as much as I could in this space, so that I could help to fill this gap between general practice and specialist level care."

The Graduate Certificate in Medicine (Metabolic Health) subjects covered chronic disease topics in more depth and at an advanced level – which is what I was specifically looking for. The course enhanced my ability to manage complex diabetic patients more confidently, autonomously with less need for specialist review, and with a wider multi-disciplinary team.
Dr Josh Crase

Making a difference in rural Australia

Josh is currently working as a rural generalist GP and senior medical officer for Maari Ma Aboriginal Health Service in his hometown, Broken Hill. Josh manages a large proportion of complex chronic disease patients, especially patients with diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular disease.

Josh’s role allows him to contribute back to positive patient care in a rural and remote medical context including closing the gap in Aboriginal health outcomes.

“What’s really rewarding is being able to use the knowledge I've gained from the Graduate Certificate in Medicine (Metabolic Health) to keep patients out of hospital, prevent complications and improve their overall chronic disease health outcomes”, considers Josh. 

“Aboriginal health is challenging, but rewarding,” says Josh. In his role, he is able to help his patients to live the best and longest life they can with the lowest number of medications and hospital admissions.

With them, he shares a common health goal and rural background with his patients, yarns about their health problems, culture and family, and assists with the logistically and medically complex work of rural and remote healthcare.

Josh plans to continue to develop his skills in metabolic health to ensure diabetes and obesity are a primary focus of his general practice work into the future. 

“The continuous growth in diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular disease pharmacotherapy, medication indications, long-term studies and ongoing research into lifestyle interventions means this area of medicine is constantly evolving and exciting," says Josh.

“I found pursuing higher qualifications in chronic disease rewarding and engaging; especially completing the Graduate Certificate in Medicine (Metabolic Health).”