Skip to main content

Class timetables

  1. Collect your timetable
  2. Customise your timetable
  3. Clashes and help with your timetable

Clashes and help with your timetable


A clash on your timetable means that there are two or more classes scheduled at the same time, and there are no alternative times for those classes.

We will allow you to choose units of study where classes clash, but it’s up to you to make sure you can still complete the requirements of the unit of study where you miss the class. We encourage you to consult your unit of study coordinators about your options. Your unit of study coordinator is generally listed in the unit of study descriptions in your handbook.

To remove a clash on your timetable, you’ll need to change your units of study.

Be aware that we will not create a clash on your timetable if you can have a timetable without a clash.

Difficult clashes

A difficult clash means there are two or more classes scheduled at the same time. Alternative times are available for these classes but no matter what time you select there will still be a clash. We therefore need to manually choose the clash that will best suit you.

Each day, we check for difficult clashes. We will select the best clash and email you an updated timetable as soon as possible (this process can take up to a week). Your updated timetable will still include at least one clash.

If after receiving your timetable you are unhappy, reply to the email to further discuss your options.


There are a number of reasons why you might be unable to see your semester timetable.

There are several reasons why this could happen, such as:

  • a class has no alternative times
  • classes at alternative times are full
  • moving to another class will result in a clash on your timetable
  • there are departmental restrictions on who can attend specific times. For example, you need to attend a lecture before your weekly tutorial.

If you've checked your unit of study selections and enrolment in Sydney Student, try recollecting your timetable (select 'Recollect new timetable').

We can't return your timetable to a previous version. However, you may be able to obtain your previous class times by customising your new one.

To view your timetable without it changing, select 'View current timetable'.

Your timetable may become invalid because a class you were allocated to has been cancelled, its time has changed, or you have added new units of study. If this is the case you should recollect your timetable (select 'Recollect new timetable'). 

Further assistance

If you have commitments that mean you can’t attend your classes, you should first try to customise your timetable

If you can’t change your timetable it's often because the class you want to join is full or the changes you want to make would cause a clash.

If you have special circumstances requiring you to make a change to your timetable, you can contact us for further assistance. Please note that we will not be able to place you in a full class or deliberately create a clash.

Special circumstances that will be considered

Attending classes is an important part of your study at the University and we will only attempt to alter your timetable if your circumstances are considered to be exceptional.

Examples of exceptional circumstances include, where you have:

  • work commitments where you can demonstrate financial need
  • ongoing medical appointments, for yourself or for a person under your care, that cannot be changed.

We will not make changes if you:

  • have work commitments where financial need cannot be demonstrated
  • want to be in a class with a friend
  • want to be in a class taught by a particular teacher
  • want to reduce the time between classes
  • have sporting commitments.

Request further assistance

If you have exceptional circumstances, you can contact us at from your University email account. For your request to be considered, you need to include the required supporting documents and the following information. 

  • Your name.
  • Your student ID number.
  • A short description of your special circumstances and why you need to have your timetable altered.  
  • Supporting documents (attached to the email).

Supporting documents required

Your request for timetable alterations needs to be accompanied by verifiable supporting documents. 

You need to provide a letter from your employer stating the days and times that you need to work. 

You will also need to demonstrate that you have financial need. The following documents can be used to demonstrate this:

  • a Centrelink income statement
  • a statutory declaration that you need to support yourself financially in order to continue your studies. 

If you need to care for a member of your household (such as a family member) you need to provide one or more of the following documents:

  • a letter from a doctor stating the care you need to provide, including the time commitment. 
  • a statutory declaration stating who you're providing care for, the nature of their need and that there is no other person who could reasonably carry out that care.

If you have on-going medical appointments, you need to provide a letter from your doctor which clearly states the required time commitment.

A statutory declaration will support any circumstances where you can’t provide other supporting documents. It should include:

  • your full name
  • a statement about your special circumstances, including the days and times that you are affected and the impact that this will have on your studies.

Student Centre

Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
Last updated: 29 September 2017

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage– we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.