Skip to main content

Counselling and mental health support

Free and confidential assistance is available through our Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS), helping guide you through the challenges of university and reach your potential.


We can collaborate with you to assess your psychological needs, and choose the level of input that's right for you – from self-directed resources to workshops, group programs, and personal therapy.

Crisis and after hours contacts

If you have immediate safety concerns for yourself or others, call triple zero (000) for emergency services (fire/ambulance/police).

If you need help outside of Counselling and Psychological Services hours, the following community resources are available:

Mental Health Access Line: 1800 011 511
Lifeline (24 hours): 13 11 14

Getting started

Whether you are interested in talking confidentially about personal or mental health matters, or you’ve been advised to see one of our psychologists, the first step is to visit us in person or call to arrange an appointment. You can choose either a face-to-face counselling session or a web session if you’re located on another campus.

Before your first appointment you'll be asked to complete a confidential assessment form that will provide your psychologist with a starting point. We recommend you arrive 10-15 minutes early for your session to allow time to fill this in.

Initial assessment

In your first session you and your psychologist can talk about your concerns and collaborate on the best way of moving forward. We try to find a best fit for every person based on their time, energy, and readiness for change. This allows us to select from a range of interventions based on your needs. 

Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

  • Level 5 Jane Foss Russell Building G02
Opening hours

9am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday.

Last updated: 08 January 2018

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.