Skip to main content


Calculators and dictionaries

If you are allowed to bring a dictionary or calculator to your exam this will be outlined on your exam timetable. You will need to get these approved at the Student Centre well in advance of your exam.

Approved calculators

Your unit of study coordinator decides what calculator, if any, is allowed in your exam. This will be outlined on your personal exam timetable.

There are three types of calculators. 

  • Programmable - do not need to be approved if permitted in your exam.
  • Non-programmable - need to be approved by the Student Centre before your exam.
  • Financial - need to be approved by the Discipline of Finance before your exam.

Non-programmable calculators

The Approvable non-programmable calculator list lists calculator models that will be approved for use in University exams by the Student Centre.

If you are allowed to use a financial calculator during your exam, the Student Centre does not approve these calculators. You need to check the information on financial calculators to find out what models are allowed, and how you can get these approved. 

If you use a programmable calculator in an exam where only non-programmable calculators are permitted, this will be considered academic misconduct.

Only calculators on this list will be approved for use in University of Sydney examinations by the Student Centre. This list is subject to change. 




  • F717SGA
  • F720
  • F720i


  • fx-82AU
  • fx-82AU PLUS
  • fx-82AU PLUS II
  • fx-82MS
  • fx-82TL
  • fx-83WA
  • fx-85MS
  • fx-100AU
  • fx-100AU PLUS
  • fx-100S
  • fx-300MS
  • fx-350MS
  • fx-911Z

Dick Smith

  • V7184

Hewlett Packard

  • HP8S
  • HP10S
  • HP10S+


  • IN-82SC


  • JasCS1
  • JasCS EVO

Office One

  • 3000


  • FB 350MS


  • DS-82MS
  • KD-350MS
  • D1-5
  • SC-150MX
  • SC-250MX


  • EL-509V
  • EL-509WM
  • EL-520WG
  • EL-W531HA
  • EL-531VH
  • EL-531WH
  • EL-531X
  • EL-W532THBW
  • EL-531XH
  • EL-W532XH

Get your non-programmable calculator approved

If you’re using a non-programmable calculator in an exam, you’ll need to bring it to the Student Centre to be approved. Once it’s been checked we’ll attach a sticker to it to show that it’s been approved.

Only calculators on the approvable non-programmable calculator list can be approved by the Student Centre.  

If you had your calculator approved before the end of Semester 1 2017, and the sticker is still intact, you can continue to use it without needing to get it approved again. This applies even if your calculator isn’t on the current list.

You can borrow an approved non-programmable calculator from the Students' Representative Council office, subject to availability.

Financial calculators

If you are allowed a financial calculator during your exam, you need to have it approved by the Discipline of Finance. Financial calculators are not approved by the Student Centre.

Non-programmable financial calculators that can be approved are on the following list. This list is subject to change.

  • Casio fx-50FH
  • Casio fx-82CN X
  • Casio fx-95CN X
  • Casio fc-100V
  • Casio fx-100MS
  • Casio fx-115ES PLUS
  • Casio fx-115MS
  • Casio fc-200V
  • Casio fx-220 PLUS
  • Casio fx-500ES
  • Casio fx-570ES
  • Casio fx-570ES PLUS
  • Casio fx-570MS
  • Casio fx-570SPX
  • Casio fx-991CN X
  • Casio fx-991ES PLUS
  • Casio fx-991MS
  • Casio fx 3650P
  • Deli DL-1710 
  • HP 10bII+
  • HP 10S+
  • HP 12c Platinum
  • HP 300S+
  • InSystem IN-F16 
  • Sharp EL-531X or XG or XH
  • Sharp EL-533X 
  • Sharp EL-738F / Sharp EL-738FB
  • Sharp EL-W531S
  • Texas Instruments BA II Plus
  • Texas Instruments TI-30XB
  • Texas Instruments TI-30XS

Get your financial calculator approved

If you’re using a financial calculator in an exam, you need to get it checked and approved before your exam.

To get your calculator approved, you'll need to attend one of the approval sessions before the exam period. Session dates and location for Semester 1 will be available here shortly. 

If you've previously had your calculator approved and the sticker is still intact, you can continue to use it without needing to get it approved again. 

After the last session, if you have not been able to attend one of the sessions, you can visit the Finance office 547 in the Codrington Building (H69) to have your calculator approved.

Linguistic dictionaries

Students from a non-English speaking background can apply for permission to use a standard linguistic dictionary in examinations. This is usually limited to students who did not sit the NSW Higher School Certificate (or equivalent) and had enrolled at the University as an international student.

You will need to bring your dictionary to the Student Centre to be approved for use before taking it into an examination. This will be done on the spot, but only during business hours Monday to Friday. Once checked and stamped, you can use it in examinations throughout your University enrolment.

Please note that the Student Centre can only approve a dictionary that is English to foreign language or vice versa (bilingual).

The Student Centre cannot approve:

  • dictionaries that contain images of any kind. This includes dictionaries that have had pages with images torn out.
  • electronic dictionaries
  • dictionaries containing notes
  • standard English-to-English dictionaries
  • textbook-style dictionaries, such as an accounting dictionary
  • textbooks of any kind.

Approved dictionaries are checked at random during examinations for unauthorised notes or materials that may constitute academic misconduct.

Student Centre

  • Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus

Make an enquiry

Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Extended in-person opening hours first two weeks of semester and during exams.

Last updated: 06 March 2019

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.