Skip to main content

Industry and community projects

  1. Overview
  2. Projects and partners
  3. Eligibility and how to apply

Eligibility and how to apply


To be eligible to enrol in an Industry and Community Project Unit (ICPU) you need to:

  • be an undergraduate student
  • have completed 72 credit points
  • have a free elective available in your degree.

How to apply

The application process for July intensive and semester-long projects is different.

  • Applications for Semester 2 close on 7 July.

Semester-long projects - Semester 2

Follow the below process to enrol in semester-long projects.

1. Select a shell unit through Sydney Student

The first step is to select a shell unit for the project through Sydney Student. If you've already enrolled you can do this by changing your units of study (go to ‘My studies’, ‘Units of study’, then ‘Change your units of study’).

You'll need to select the shell unit related to your faculty or school. If you're unable to see the unit you'll need to apply for special permission for that shell unit (go to 'My studies', 'Units of study', then 'Other options'.

Choose the shell unit for your faculty or school:

  • Sydney School of Architecture - ARCH3108
  • Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (including Sydney College of the Arts and Sydney School of Education and Social Work) - INDP3000*
  • The University of Sydney Business School - BUSS3110
  • School of Pharmacy - PHAR4820
  • Sydney Conservatorium of Music - PERF3640
  • Faculty of Engineering and Information Technologies - ENGG3800
  • Faculty of Health Sciences - HSBH3026
  • Sydney Law School - LAWS3508 (Bachelor of Laws), LAWS5208 (Juris Doctor)**
  • Faculty of Science (including Sydney School of Veterinary Science) - SCPU3001.

*If you're in a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies and in your third year, you'll need to select the unit from this list related to your major: ANHS3998, ANTH3998, ARBC3998, ARCO3998, ARHT3998, ARIN3998, ASNS3998, BBCL3998, CAEL3998, CHNS3998, ECON3998, ECOP3998, EDUF3998, ENGL3998, EUST3998, FILM3998, FRNC3998, GCST3998, GOVT3898, GRKA3998, GRMN3998, HBRW3998, HSTY3998, ICLS3998, INDG3998, INGS3998, INMS3998, ITLN3998, JCTC3998, JPNS3998, KRNS3998, LATN3998, LNGS3998, MECO3998, MGRK3998, PHIL3998, PRFM3998, RLST3998, SCLG3998, SLSS3998, SPAN3998, USSC3998.

**Combined Law students in years 1, 2 and 3 should enrol in the faculty shell unit relevant to their non-law degree. Bachelor of Law and Juris Doctor students who are in their final or penultimate year and have completed a minimum of 48 credit points of core law units, are also eligible to apply.

You will need to include a signed and witnessed copy of the deed poll with your application, (it may be witnessed by anyone over 18). This can be uploaded in the supporting documentation section. Make sure you consider the acknowledgments in the deed carefully before responding to the offer to undertake the project. Your application will not be accepted without a signed copy of the deed poll.

2.  Select your preferences

If you've successfully enrolled, we will email you with instructions on how to select your top three projects in order of preference.

  • Semester 2 projects: we'll email you on 15 or 16 July 2019.

We cannot guarantee that you will be allocated to your preferred projects.

If you have any enquiries about selecting your preferences email

Student Centre

  • Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus

Make an enquiry

Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Extended in-person opening hours first two weeks of semester and during exams.

Last updated: 23 April 2019

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.