Skip to main content

International loan schemes

United Kingdom professional and career development loans

The United Kingdom Government offers Professional and Career Development Loans that can be put towards university study. The University of Sydney is a registered provider.

You may be able to borrow between £300 and £10,000. These loans are usually offered at a reduced interest rate and the government pays interest while you’re studying.

How to apply

You can find information on which banks offer the loan and order an application pack by calling the UK National Careers Service on 0800 100 900 (within the UK).

Make sure you review the eligibility criteria, and submit your application two months before your course starts to give the bank enough time to process your application. Don't apply more than two months ahead, as your application won't be accepted.

You will need to reference the University of Sydney in your application. Our reference number is 10646.

If you’re successful in your application, please advise our International Loans Team at

Last updated: 07 August 2019

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.