Skip to main content

Planning your course

Professional and other degrees

If you are already studying one of our degrees, or are starting a degree other than a liberal studies or specialist degree in 2018, there may be additional faculty or school information that you should consider when planning your studies.

If you are starting a liberal studies or specialist degree in 2018, you should refer to our liberal studies and special degrees page for information on planning your degree.

Make sure you have done your research and checked the requirements for your course outlined in your handbook.


Select your core units

Some courses will have core units of study that are compulsory to complete. If your course has core units, you’ll need to include these when planning what units of study you’re going to complete.


Think about your major

If your course requires you to complete a major, start thinking about this in your first year, as most majors have a compulsory number of junior credit points. These junior units are often prerequisites for units you’ll need to take later on.

You may need to nominate your major when you enrol, and will need to select units that meet the requirements of your major.


Choose your electives

Many courses will allow you to complete electives. This may give you the opportunity to study units from different disciplines that interest you. 


Think about international experience or honours 

Depending on your course, you may have global opportunities such as short-term, semester or year-long exchanges.

Many courses also offer the opportunity to complete honours – usually an additional year of study where you complete a research project. 


Broaden your knowledge with Open Learning Environment (OLE) units

Consider taking an OLE unit to acquire new knowledge and skills in other fields of study. A broad range of zero credit point units are available to all students for free. These short, online units can be completed at your own pace. Find a full list of zero credit point OLE units in Canvas

Further information

There are two types of majors available to most students enrolled in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.

A Table A major is a major in a subject area taught within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. In most courses, it is compulsory to complete a Table A major.

A Table B major is a major in a subject area taught within another faculty. The subject areas from other faculties available to students within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences are listed in the handbook.

If you commenced your undergraduate degree before 2014, you may be able to cross list certain units of study. This means you have may have a choice of which major a unit of study counts towards.

While a stream defines the primary disciplinary focus of your course (such as Civil Engineering or Mechanical Engineering), a major is an optional area of specialisation within your course (both Civil and Mechanical Engineers may choose to major in Environmental Engineering, for example).

Log in to Canvas to see which majors align with particular engineering streams. 

If you would like to upgrade to a Space major, apply using the changing stream form. You need an annual average mark of at least 75.

If you would like to change your stream, you will need to apply online.

If you’re undertaking the Bachelor of Animal and Veterinary Bioscience, you will need to select a major in your third year of study. You will be able to focus on an area of study from one of the four key majors: Animal Genetics and Biotechnology; Animal Health and Disease; Animal Production Systems; or Wildlife Conservation.

If you are undertaking the Bachelor of Visual Arts, you may be able to vary your major provided that the faculty is satisfied that you have appropriate skills. This may be determined at an interview.

To vary your major, you need to apply for special permission to enrol in units of study for your new major. Your request needs to be submitted two weeks before the commencement of the semester for which the variation is to be effective and supported by uploading a portfolio of your recent artwork

Student Centre

  • Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus

Make an enquiry

Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Extended in-person opening hours first two weeks of semester and during exams.

Last updated: 05 March 2018

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.