Skip to main content

Release for student visa holders

If you want to transfer to another education institution within the first six months of starting your principal course at the University of Sydney, you will need to contact us to request a release. 

You will not require a release if you have completed more than six months of your course, or you are a sponsored student with a letter of approval from your government or sponsor supporting your proposed transfer.

If you are considering transferring to another Australian education provider, read our International Student Change of Provider Policy 2016 (pdf, 293KB).


To apply for a release, you will need to be in the first six months of your principal course at the University (your main course of study), or have a packaged offer with the Centre for English Teaching (CET) or the University of Sydney Foundation Program (USFP).

We will issue a release where:

  • you have significant compassionate or compelling reasons to transfer
  • you have a packaged offer and have not met the entry requirements for your University of Sydney course
  • your course will no longer be offered
  • the course has not reasonably met your expectations based on the information we provided.

You should be aware of the situations where a release will not be provided (pdf, 293KB).

How to apply

To apply for a release, you will need to have an offer letter for another CRICOS-registered education institution.

Complete the Application for release form (pdf, 423KB) and attach the required supporting documents.

  • A typed and signed statement giving the reason(s) for your release application.
  • A copy of your offer letter from your new institution.
  • A copy of your passport.

You will also need to provide written confirmation:

  • from your parent or legal guardian supporting your transfer
  • that your new education institution accepts responsibility for approving your accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements. 

If you have received a packaged offer from CET or USFP, you will need to attach your transcript, attendance certificate and/or completion certificate.

What happens next

If your application meets the requirements, we will provide you with a release. This will usually be supplied within 10 working days of your application.

If your application is not successful, we will outline reasons for this decision in writing.

Application for Release Form

Download PDF

Student Centre

  • Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus

Make an enquiry

Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Extended in-person opening hours first two weeks of semester and during exams.

Last updated: 16 July 2018

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.