Skip to main content

Special consideration and arrangements

While you are studying there may be circumstances or essential commitments that impact your academic performance. Our special consideration and special arrangements process is there to support you in these situations.

Overview and eligibility

If you experience short-term circumstances beyond your control, such as illness, injury or misadventure, which affect your preparation or performance in an assessment, you may be eligible for special consideration.

If you have essential commitments that will impact your preparation or performance in an assessment, it may be possible for you to make special arrangements to fulfil your responsibilities.

There are three things you have to do to apply for special consideration and arrangements:

Long-term or ongoing circumstances

If you are affected by long-term circumstances, such as a recurring medical condition, we encourage you to register with Disability Services. We can also support you through a wide range of services and refer you to external support organisations.


Before you apply, check whether you are eligible and, if so, the form of consideration that may be granted to you. The outcome of your application depends on how the University assesses the degree of impact on your studies and the duration of time that you have been affected.

Special consideration: short-term illness, injury or misadventure

If you (or someone you have carer’s responsibility for) have experienced a short-term illness, injury or misadventure that has significantly impacted your performance in an assessment or exam, you may be eligible for special consideration. Examples may include:

  • acute illness or injury such as surgery or hospital admission, or illnesses requiring treatment from a health practitioner
  • the death of a family member or close friend
  • a natural disaster or car accident.

Your eligibility depends on whether the circumstances were out of your control and you can provide all the necessary supporting documents.

Circumstances where you will not be eligible for special consideration

Special consideration is not granted for circumstances that are considered reasonably in your control, such as:

  • public transport delays
  • personal events such as birthdays
  • minor ailments or illness where you are still capable of completing assessments
  • travel plans
  • balancing workloads from other units of study, disciplines or faculties
  • information and communications technology problems – except where they could not have been prevented, avoided or the effects minimised by reasonable diligence on your part.

In some cases, you can talk to your faculty and discuss the option of a simple extension.

Exam clashes

The special consideration process should not be used if you are unable to sit an exam due to a clash. Find out what to do if you have an exam clash.

Special arrangements: essential commitments

There are certain circumstances where special arrangements will be made available to you if an essential commitment affects your ability to complete an assessment. Examples may include:

  • essential religious commitments or beliefs (including cultural and ceremonial commitments)
  • a compulsory legal requirement (jury duty, court summons)
  • a sporting commitment representing the University, state or nation
  • military service
  • birth or adoption.

Student Centre

  • Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus

Make an enquiry

Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Extended in-person opening hours first two weeks of semester and during exams.

Last updated: 07 January 2020

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.