Skip to main content

Study abroad and exchange

Costs and funding options

It’s important to plan your finances when preparing for exchange so you can get the most out of it. You’ll need to make sure you’re able to cover your living and travel costs while you’re away.

Visit host university websites or look at the cost of living in the ‘Living’ tab under each program on our brochure pages.

Semester long exchange programs can range between $4000 and $20,000, depending on destination choice and personal budgets.

Exchange scholarships

The University offers a range of scholarships to students taking part in overseas exchange. These are awarded on academic merit and unless you have already received guaranteed funding, you’ll be automatically considered when you’re nominated for exchange.

Check with your nominated host university to see if there are scholarships available through their university too.

See a full list of the exchange scholarships available.

Australian mobility grants

In partnership with the Australian Government, we offer a variety of funding opportunities to students undertaking overseas credited study, through the New Colombo Plan or Endeavour grants.

OS-HELP loans

This is part of the Government’s HELP scheme and assists eligible students approved for exchange to fund a range of overseas expenses.

Find out how to apply for OS-HELP.


Eligible students can continue to receive Centrelink benefits while studying full-time overseas.

Sydney Abroad

  • Level 4 Jane Foss Russell Building G02
Opening hours

9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Last updated: 09 January 2018

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.