Skip to main content

Changing universities

Transfer from another Australian university

Domestic students are welcome to apply for a transfer to the University of Sydney at any point during their studies at another Australian university.

Most of our undergraduate degrees are open to transferring students from other universities and colleges.

Your application will be assessed on your ATAR or university results – whichever gives you the best chance of receiving an offer. Your university results will only be considered if you have completed at least one full-time year or equivalent of a single university course.

The University of Sydney is a member of the Group of Eight (Go8) Credit Transfer Agreement. Member universities of the Go8 have agreed to maximise the opportunities for mobility of students between them by facilitating the transfer of credit earned at their institutions. 

If you’re continuing your studies in a similar or related area, you may be able to apply for Recognition for Prior Learning (RPL). For example, you could start your second-year subjects with us, and have your first-year subjects from another university credited as Recognised Prior Learning towards your current degree. 

How to transfer

You’ll need to reapply in September for a start date in Semester 1 of the following year.

Much like applying straight from high school, you need to re-register with the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) and select your course preferences.

This time around, as long as you have at least one full-time year or equivalent of tertiary study in a single university course, both your university results and your ATAR will be considered – whichever gives you the strongest chance of receiving an offer.

Credit for previous study

Related study or work experience can be credited to your degree. If you’ve already completed university-level subjects or have relevant work experience, you may be able to get credit for previous study. This means you won’t have to repeat similar units and could graduate sooner.

When your faculty assesses your application for credit, they will be looking for study or practical experience equivalent to the skills, knowledge and understanding you’d otherwise get during your degree. Find out more about types of credit and how to apply.

New applicants

If you are a direct applicant, an application for credit or Recognition for Prior Learning (RPL) can be made at the time of application for admission into the course. You will receive the outcome of your credit application along with the outcome of your application for admission. The credit application process is different if you are applying through UAC. 

Frequently asked questions

Almost any. You can apply to transfer into any of our courses except combined medicine.

Yes, but you will need to have studied at least one full-time year (or equivalent) in a single course before your university results will be considered.

Not necessarily. Once you’ve accepted your offer and enrolled, you can apply to have credit from your previous subjects put towards your degree at Sydney. However, there are limits on how much credit you can receive. 

That depends on your situation. If you want your university results to be considered in your application, you need a full-time year of results in a single course. You can apply on the basis of your secondary results if you want to start here sooner.

Contact us

  • Student Centre, Level 3
    Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus

    Opening hours:
    9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday

Make an enquiry