Every year, we welcome hundreds of students who participate in one of our study abroad or student exchange programs. Some come for our academic reputation and wide range of courses, while others wish to experience our vibrant student life bolstered by our guaranteed accommodation and unique internship program.
There are many reasons to choose to study at the University of Sydney and lots of support for students once you get here – take a look through the links below to find out what you can expect.
Why study here?
Preparing for life in Sydney
Support for study abroad and exchange students
- We offer the Mates Abroad mentoring program to hundreds of study abroad and exchange students. You will be paired with a likeminded, enthusiastic local student mentor to ease your transition into Sydney life. You will create new friendships and share exciting adventures in Australia together. Every study abroad and exchange student is invited to opt-in to this program via email before your study begins at Sydney.
- We have more than 200 student clubs and societies, including the student Global Exchange Society – a student group for study abroad and exchange students. You will have the opportunity to meet other current study abroad or exchange students, as well as other students who have returned from exchange, or are considering exchange themselves. The society organises regular social events, including barbeques and pub crawls.
- There are a number of activities that are popular with study abroad and exchange students, including Surf Camp that runs throughout most of the year. You will meet other students, explore a beautiful Australian beach, and of course, learn to surf!
- All incoming study abroad and exchange students are required to participate in an Orientation session on arrival in Sydney. You will meet other students, be introduced to life in Sydney and be invited on a campus tour.
- Our students can also participate in our internationally-focused leadership development program, the Global Citizenship Award. The extra-curricular program offers you outstanding leadership opportunities and shapes you as a global citizen.
Read more on Support for international students.
General student services
We have many health and wellbeing services right on campus to help you succeed while studying in Sydney.
- Academic support offers study skills workshops, free tutorials, group study sessions and bridging courses in areas such as grammar, mathematics and science.
- Disability services ensures equal access. We offer a range of services and adjustments to minimise the impact of any disability on your learning experience and to optimise your academic success.
- Health and wellbeing support from doctors and physiotherapists, to psychologists and chaplains, you can access the support you may need.
- Careers centre is your resource from finding jobs to career advice. We can provide a comprehensive range of careers services to guide you.
Sydney abroad peer advisers
We have peer advisers that are available at the Student Centre, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm for any study abroad and exchange needs that you may have.