Discontinued Not to Count as Failure
A Discontinued Not to Count as Failure (DC) grade applied after the University deadline allows you to discontinue a unit of study without academic penalty due to exceptional, severe and long-term illness or misfortune. It is important to note that if you receive a DC grade, you will remain financially liable for the unit of study.
DC results are intended for:
A DC result applied after the DC deadline specified by the University should be a last resort where other methods of special consideration have been exhausted, or cannot be applied. The circumstances must therefore be exceptional, long term and documented. Late DC results are intended for circumstances that were either unknown or deteriorated after the seventh week of the Semester in which the DC is sought. You may only apply for DC grades due to the sudden onset of severe and ongoing illness or misadventure that could not have been reasonably foreseen, and which prevents you from continuing your studies.
DC results are not intended for:
- if you have attempted and failed assessment tasks in the unit of study for which a DC result is sought. Discontinuation of studies with a grade of DC is not intended to allow students who have failed a unit of study to have this result removed from their academic record.
- if you have passed a unit of study. Discontinuation of studies with a grade of DC is not intended to allow students who have passed a unit of study to have this result removed from their academic record.
- single or occasional instances of illness or misadventure that affect the your studies for a short period. Instances for up to 20 working days are covered by Special Consideration arrangements.
Students applying for a DC before the deadline specified by the University.
- Domestic students must apply for a DC in MyUni through the Sydney Student portal prior to the deadlines specified by the University.
- To apply for an on time DC, select the MyStudies tab and choose Units of Study. Click on the Other Options tab and follow the prompts.
- International students must apply to take a reduced load prior to the deadlines specified by the University, and must provide documentation that demonstrates they have compelling or compassionate circumstances (e.g. serious illness or misadventure).
- An application for a reduced load can be lodged in MyUni through the Sydney Student portal. Simply select the MyStudies tab and choose Units of Study. Click on the Apply for a Reduced Load tab and follow the prompts, and upload your supporting documentation when requested.
Students applying for a DC after the deadline specified by the University.
- You will need to complete the DC application form and submit your application and supporting documentation to Student Services no later than (2) weeks of the conclusion of the teaching period for the semester for which DC is sought.
- Student Services may waive this requirement if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Director of Student Services that it was impossible or unreasonable for you to lodge your request within this timeframe. In such cases, you must provide documentation that demonstrates your application was made as soon as possible.
- You must ensure that you meet the criteria of the policy and attach appropriate documentary evidence of illness or misadventure to your application. Supporting documentation should meet the requirements as set out in the Documentation Guidelines for DC Applications.
- Documentation should also demonstrate if a reduced load rather than complete withdrawal from your studies is appropriate.
Applying for a Refund of Fees
Please Note: Under some circumstances, students who are granted a grade of DC after the census date may be eligible for a refund of fees or re-credit of a Fee-HELP balance. Local students should contact the HECS and Domestic Fees Office in the Student Centre about all fee, HECS-HELP and Fee-HELP issues. International Students should contact the International Office.
Summer/Winter School and units of studies offered by other Faculties:
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences does not process DC applications for units of study undertaken in Summer School or Winter School. For Summer or Winter School units of study, you will need to apply directly to Summer or Winter School.
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is unable to process DC applications for units of study that are offered outside the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. The Faculty can only process DC applications for units of study that are offered by our Faculty. To apply for a DC for a unit outside of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, please contact the administrating [http://sydney.edu.au/about/faculties_schools.shtml||faculty]] for the unit you are seeking a DC grade for.