Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find information on the Government & International Relations major?

The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Handbook for the current year is the authoritative source on majors. It is accessible from the Department’s website here:

How can I transfer credit for a politics subject taken at another university to my course at Sydney?

You may apply for credit for that subject via the Sydney Student Portal. Please refer to the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences’ guidelines for Credit and Reduced Volume of Learning.

How many GOVT subjects / credits from another university may count towards the GOVT major at Sydney?

No more than four Units of Study (24 GOVT credits) may be transferred and counted towards the major. The remainder must be taken at the University of Sydney.

How should I choose subjects that I want to credit as GOVT subjects at another university when I am going on international exchange?

As long as the exchange units you choose are clearly political science, public policy, politics, international relations subjects, then they will usually be approved for GOVT exchange credit. Submit the exchange approval form to the undergraduate coordinator via the Department main office (266 Merewether).

Can non-GOVT units be counted towards the GOVT major?

Crosslisting and the crosslisting search tool are only relevant to students who commenced their degree prior to 2014. From 2014 onwards, interdisciplinary units of study counting towards the GOVT major will now be included in GOVT table of units of study in the Handbook.

I have done an internship in parliament and studied political economy. Now I am switching to a GOVT major. Do I need to take 2 junior (GOVT1000-level) units before I take senior (GOVT2000-level) units?

Yes, you do. Pre-requisites are almost never waived in GOVT, and only in truly unusual circumstances. If you want to major in Government & International Relations, it is very important to gain the foundation to the field provided in our junior-level units.