Business Information Systems (Master of Commerce)
A postgraduate specialisation in Business Information Systems will be concerned with the study of the application of modern Digital Technologies in the business domain. You will acquire the skills and techniques to carry out effective business analysis with a view to improve business operations through the application of Business Information Systems. You will also gain an understanding of the role of Business Information Systems in facilitating business transformation and implementing digital business models in increasingly competitive market environments. You may engage in areas of study including business process integration, enterprise systems, information governance, and business transformation.
Requirements for the specialisation
The following information is for students who commenced study or transferred into the Master of Commerce from 2012 or students who commenced study in 2011 and wish to follow these requirements for a specialisation. All other students should refer to the information set out below under Information for pre-2012 continuing students.
To be awarded a specialisation in Business Information Systems, students complete five units of study (30 credit points), comprising:
(i) one foundational unit of study (six credit points), as follows:
- INFS5002 Digital Business Foundations (new unit for 2015)*
* Students who commenced study in the Master of Commerce before 2015 can substitute INFS5001 as the foundational unit for this specialisation.
(ii) four elective units of study (24 credit points) selected from the following units of study:
- INFS6001 Managing Information and Systems *
- INFS6002 Strategic Information Systems Sourcing
- INFS6004 Business Transformation Projects
- INFS6012 Enterprise Systems Management
- INFS6013 Information Risk, Governance and Assurance *
- INFS6015 Business Process Management
- INFS6016 Technology-Enabled Business Innovation
- INFS6017 Strategic Information and Knowledge Management *
- INFS6018 Managing Business Intelligence
- INFS6020 BIS Innovation Transformation and Change*
- INFS6021 Information Governance*
- INFS6032 Agile Project Management (new unit for 2015)
* Not offered for 2015.
Note: Non-foundational (advanced) units of study can be used to count to one specialisation only. For example, INFS6004 cannot be used to count towards both a Business Information Systems and a Project Management specialisation.
Information for pre-2012 continuing students
Students who commenced study in the Master of Commerce in 2011 may choose to complete their specialisation according to the information set out above or can choose to complete according to the information set out in the following downloadable PDF which lists the 2011 structure. Students should also refer to the handbook of the year they commenced study for exact details of their specialisation requirements.
- Requirements for the Integrated Business Solutions (Business Information Systems) specialisation for students who commenced study in the Master of Commerce in 2011.
Students who commenced their degree before 2011 (in Master of Commerce), should follow the requirements for the Major in Business Information Systems as set out in the handbook of the year they commenced study.
Availability of this specialisation
This version of this specialisation is available under the following degrees:
- Master of Commerce (12 unit program) (not offered to commencing students)
- Master of Commerce (16 unit program)
- Master of Commerce and Master of Logistics Management (not offered to commencing students)
- Master of International Business and Master of Commerce (not offered to commencing students)
Students enrolled in the Graduate Diploma in Commerce or the Graduate Diploma in Commerce may choose units from this specialisation subject area as electives in their course.