Strategy, Innovation and Entrepreneurship (Master of Commerce)
In 2013, this specialisation's name changes from 'Strategy and Innovation' to 'Strategy, Innovation and Entrepreneurship'
Strategy is a critical component of a business. Increasingly, a premium is placed on strategists who are able to exploit creativity and innovation to attain competitive advantage. In this Strategy and Innovation specialisation, we focus on creativity and innovation in strategy formulation and on the importance of formulation being complemented by a strong capability in strategy execution. We investigate these factors in both entrepreneurial and corporate settings. Electives cover topics such as opportunity identification and business start-ups, managing growth, business restructuring, business negotiations, intellectual property management, managing change, management consulting and the nature of innovative organisations.
Requirements for the specialisation
The following information is for students who commenced study or transferred into the Master of Commerce from 2013 or students who commenced study in 2012 or 2011 and wish to follow these requirements for a specialisation. All other students should refer to the information set out below under 'Information for pre-2013 continuing students'.
To be awarded a specialisation in Strategy, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, students must complete five units of study (30 credit points), comprising:
(i) one foundational unit of study (six credit points) selected from the following units:
- IBUS5002 Strategy, Innovation and Entrepreneurship OR IBUS5001 Strategy, Innovation and Global Business*
* IBUS5002 replaces IBUS5001 from 2013.
(ii) one compulsory unit of study (six credit points), as follows:
(iii) three elective units of study (18 credit points) selected from the following units:
- CLAW6032 Regulating Innovation and Distribution
- IBUS6011 New Business Opportunities and Startups
- IBUS6012 Business Growth and Innovation
- IBUS6013 Business Restructuring and Renewal
- IBUS6014 Intellectual Property Management
- IBUS6016 Social Entrepreneurship
- IBUS6017 Enterprise and the Creative Industries *
- IBUS6018 Business Negotiations
- WORK6026 Organisational Change and Development
- WORK6111 Management Consulting *
- WORK6119 The Innovative Firm
* Not offered in 2014.
Note: Non-foundational (advanced) units of study can be used to count to one specialisation only. For example, IBUS6012 cannot be used to count towards both an International Business and a Strategy and Innovation specialisation.
Information for pre-2013 continuing students
Students who commenced study in the Master of Commerce in 2011 or 2012 may choose to complete their specialisation according to the information set out above or can choose to complete according to the information set out in the following downloadable PDF which lists the 2011 or 2013 structures. Students should also refer to the handbook of the year they commenced study for exact details of their specialisation requirements.
- Requirements for the Strategy and Innovation specialisation for students who commenced study in the Master of Commerce in 2011 and 2012
Students who commenced their degree before 2011 (in FH014 Master of Commerce), should follow the requirements for the 'Major in Entrepreneurship' or 'Major in Strategic Management' as set out in the handbook of the year they commenced study.
Availability of this specialisation
This version of this specialisation is available under the following degrees:
- Master of Commerce (12 unit program)
- Master of Commerce (16 unit program)
- Master of Commerce and Master of Logistics Management
- Master of International Business and Master of Commerce