Special Consideration - Advice to Students
This is advisory only - for the full policy, see the Administration Manual for Students.
Please note that Special Consideration is only available to students experiencing serious illness or misadventure.
You should not assume that your application for special consideration will be approved, or wait for the result of your application before submitting work. You should attend exams if at all possible, and you should submit all essays and assignments as soon as practicable.
Note that the Business School never grants conceded or concessional passes, and you won't receive additional marks as a result of a special consideration application. In all cases you will be required to carry out the assessment when well.
Advice on applying for Special Consideration for Exams:
- Make sure you complete an online application and present the printed form and supporting documents to the SIO within five working days of the exam. If your application is submitted more than five working days after the exam without good reason, it will not be considered by the Panel.
- Be aware that you will have to sit a replacement assessment if your application is approved. The Business School does not grant extra marks as Special Consideration.
- You can withdraw an application for Special Consideration until your results for that assessment task are released. Once your results are published, you cannot withdraw your application, and you will be required to sit a replacement assessment even if you pass the first assessment.
- The Business School schedules replacement assessments for final exams approximately three weeks after the initial exam. Plan holidays and work commitments around the replacement exam period. If you do not attend a replacement exam, you will receive a mark of zero for it. The schedule for replacement assessments this semester is listed at the Further Test Schedule page.
Advice on applying for Special Consideration for Essays/Assignments:
- Submit a completed online application and present the printed form and supporting documents to the SIO before the due date if at all possible. Make sure you submit no later than five working days after the due date. If your application is submitted more than five working days after the due date without good reason, it will not be considered by the Panel.
- Submit your essay or assignment as soon as possible. Don't wait for a response to your application before handing in your assignment - finish it and hand it in as soon as you are well enough to do so.
- Note that any extension is related to the duration of illness. If your medical documentation demonstrates that you were seriously ill for one week, you can usually expect a maximum extension of one week. If you were sick for only a few days, you should only expect a maximum extension of a few days.
- Be aware that the Business School does not grant additional marks or change marking standards as a form of special consideration. The Business School will grant extra time so that you can complete your assignment when you're well, but won't give extra marks due to illness or misadventure.
- If you apply after the due date, it is most likely that you may be informed of the outcome of your application late or after the extension period has expired. You should apply as early as possible so that the Business School has a reasonable time to make a decision and inform you of the outcome of the application.
After you've applied:
- Incomplete applications won't be processed, so make sure you've submitted all the documents relevant to your application. If we still need more information in order to make a decision, SIO will contact you to request this.
- Your complete application will be assessed by an academic panel. You will be advised of the panels' decision via an email to your university email account within 10 days of submission of a complete application.
- If your application is approved, you will be advised of the form of consideration and any action you need to take in the email.
- If your application is not approved, late penalties for an assignment or mark of zero for any exam not attempted will apply. If an assignment is submitted after the new due date of an extension, late penalties will apply.