Discontinuation due to illness or misadventure - DNF
Discontinue - Not to count as Failure (DNF)
Students who experience severe and ongoing illness or misadventure which prevents them from continuing their studies may apply to the Student Information Office (SIO) for discontinuation with a grade of DNF. A grade of DNF carries no academic penalty, but students remain liable for HECS or fees for the unit of study.
Students only need to apply for a grade of DNF if they need to discontinue their studies after the relevant withdrawal and DNF census dates have passed, normally after about week 5 or 6 of semester.
DNF grades after census dates are only available to students who have experienced the sudden onset of severe and ongoing illness or misadventure that could not have reasonably been foreseen, and which prevents the student from continuing their studies. DNF grades are not available to students who have attempted and failed assessment tasks in the unit of study for which DNF is sought. Students experiencing single or occasional instances of illness or misadventure that affect their studies are not eligible for DNF, but may be eligible for 'Special Consideration' arrangements.
Discontinuation of studies with a grade of DNF is not intended to allow students who have failed a unit of study to have this result removed from their academic record. Applications for DNF after the release of results will only be considered in exceptional circumstances.
- A student may apply for discontinuation of their enrolment in a unit of study with a grade of DNF if they experience the sudden onset of severe and ongoing illness or misadventure that prevents them from continuing their studies and could not have reasonably been foreseen, provided that they have not attempted and failed assessment tasks in that unit of study.
- Students must apply for DNF within two (2) weeks of the conclusion of the teaching period for the semester for which DNF is sought. Students must not wait until the release of results to apply for DNF. The SIO may waive this requirement if a student can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Student Services Manager that it was impossible or unreasonable for the student to lodge their request within this timeframe.
- Students can apply for DNF using the Request to Amend Enrolment Status Form available on the Business School website or from the SIO, or by writing a letter to the Enrolments and Student Coordinator. Students must attach documentary evidence of illness or misadventure to their application. This evidence must demonstrate that it was impossible or unreasonable for the student to continue their studies. Incomplete applications willnot be accepted.
- The Enrolment and Students Coordinator in the SIO will advise of the outcome of an application within two weeks of receipt of a complete application.
- Under some circumstances, students who are granted a grade of DNF may be eligible for a refund of fees or re-credit of a Fee-HELP balance. Local students should contact the HECS and Fees Office in the Student Centre about all fee, HECS-HELP and Fee-HELP issues. More information about thisprocess is available on the Student Centre website
See also Special consideration.