Business Information Systems Major (Undergraduate)
A major in Business Information Systems (BIS) provides the essential knowledge necessary for organisations to meet their strategic goals, drive business innovation, and create effective business operations through the application of modern information and communication technologies (ICT). Students majoring in BIS will acquire sought-after business analysis and problem-solving skills for them to play an important role in helping organisations make the most of the potential of ICT. Covered in detail are knowledge and skills in business analysis practice, business process improvement, project management, knowledge management, business intelligence, e-business, social media, information governance and enterprise systems. Students majoring in BIS will work in professional roles such as business analyst, project manager, or business consultant with major corporations, consulting practices and small businesses alike.
This is a compulsory major option for the Bachelor of Commerce (including combined Bachelor of Commerce degrees) and a Major I option for the Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies) (from 2011).
Requirements for the major
Note.The following information is for students who commenced study in their degree from 2011. Students who commenced prior to 2011 should refer to the information below listed under "Pre-2011 continuing students".
For the award of a major in Business Information Systems, students complete:
(i) one junior prerequisite unit of study (six credit points), as follows:
(ii) two compulsory senior units of study (12 credit points), as follows:
(iii) a minimum of four senior elective units of study (24 credit points) selected from the following:
- INFS2010 People, Information and Knowledge
- INFS2030 Digital Business Management
- INFS3030 Information Protection and Assurance
- INFS3040 Enterprise Systems and Integrated Business
- INFS3050 Business Intelligence for Managers
- INFS3060 Managing Digital Innovation Projects *
- INFS3070 Business Analysis in Practice
- INFS3080 Business Information Systems Project
* Not offered for 2015.
Note:Senior units of study can only be counted towards one major. Senior units cannot be "double counted" towards two majors.
The following information is for Pre-2011 continuing students only
Requirements for the Business Information Systems major for students who commenced study in their degree prior to 2011.
Pre-2011 continuing students can choose to follow the requirements for a major as set out above or can follow the requirements for their major as set out in the following downloadable PDFs. Students should also refer to the handbook of the year they commenced study for the exact details of their degree and major requirements.
- Requirements for a Business Information Systems major and extended major for students who commenced study in their degree in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 or 2010
- Requirements for a Business Information Systems major and double major for students who commenced study in their degree before 2006
The Business Information Systems major is an available option in the following degrees offered by the Business School:
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Commerce and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies)
Pre-2014 continuing students enrolled in these former Business School or Faculty of Economics and Business degrees can also complete a major or electives in Business Information Systems: Bachelor of Commerce / Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, Bachelor of Economics, Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery; and Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws (electives only).
Students in the following combined Bachelor of Commerce degrees administered by the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technologies also have the option of completing a major in Business Information Systems:
- Bachelor of Engineering and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Commerce.
A Business Information Systems major or electives in this area may also be available to students enrolled in other degrees in the University. Students should check the other faculty's handbook and course information for further details.