Business Information Systems Major (Undergraduate)
This major aims to meet the increasing demand for professionals who possess the business acumen to understand a company's business systems and information needs, and who also have a technological awareness to ensure that the right information systems support is available. Businesses need these professionals to help them harness the power of modern technology in business operations, improve their capacity for management decision making and capitalise on the use of network based information sharing.
The primary emphasis of the major is on the ways in which information and communications technologies, databases and enterprise information systems can be strategically used for business process improvement and business innovation. It encourages students to develop the ability to contribute to the decision-making, design and implementation of business process change, and to manage business improvement and information systems projects in organisations.
This is a compulsory major option for the Bachelor of Commerce (including combined Bachelor of Commerce degrees) and a Major I option for the Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies) (from 2011).
Requirements for the major
Note. The following information is for students who commenced study in their degree from 2011. Students who commenced prior to 2011 should refer to the information below listed under "Pre-2011 continuing students".
For the award of a major in Business Information Systems, students complete:
(i) one junior prerequisite unit of study (six credit points), as follows:
(ii) two compulsory senior units of study (12 credit points), as follows:
(iii) a minimum of four senior elective units of study (24 credit points) selected from the following:
- BUSS2100 Business Placement A (Internship) #
- INFS2010 Digital Information Design and Management
- INFS2030 e-Commerce Business Management
- INFS3030 Information Protection and Assurance
- INFS3040 Enterprise Systems and Integrated Business
- INFS3050 Business Intelligence for Managers
- INFS3060 Managing Digital Innovation Projects (available in Semester 2 only)
- INFS3070 Business Analysis in Practice (new unit for 2013)
- INFS3080 Business Information Systems Project
# Students must seek approval from the Discipline of Business Information Systems to include this unit as an elective for their major. This unit is only available to students enrolled in degrees offered by the Business School.
Note: Senior units of study can only be counted towards one major. Senior units cannot be "double counted" towards two majors.
The following information is for Pre-2011 continuing students only
Requirements for the Business Information Systems major for students who commenced study in their degree prior to 2011.
Pre-2011 continuing students can choose to follow the requirements for a major as set out above or can follow the requirements for their major as set out in the following downloadable PDFs. Students should also refer to the handbook of the year they commenced study for the exact details of their degree and major requirements.
- Requirements for a Business Information Systems major and extended major for students who commenced study in their degree in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 or 2010
- Requirements for a Business Information Systems major and double major for students who commenced study in their degree before 2006
Students planning to satisfy the Professional accreditation requirements for the Australian Computer Society (ASC) should include in their degree a prescribed set of units of study, including a major in Business Information Systems (at least 42 credit points in senior units of study). The required units are listed below:
- INFS1000 (prerequisite unit for the BIS major), INFS2001, INFS2020, and INFS3040
- four additional senior 'INFS' coded elective units of study (including at least two units at 3000-level). (See unit listings under the major above for details).
For further information regarding registration requirements contact the Australian Computer Society.
The Business Information Systems major is an available option in the following degrees offered by the Business School:
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Commerce / Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies)
Pre-2011 continuing students enrolled in these former Faculty of Economics and Business degrees can also complete a major or electives in Business Information Systems: FH029 Bachelor of Economics, FH035 Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery; and Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws (electives only).
Students in the following combined Bachelor of Commerce degrees administered by the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technologies also have the option of completing a major in Business Information Systems:
- Bachelor of Engineering and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Commerce.
A Business Information Systems major or electives in this area may also be available to students enrolled in other degrees in the University. Students should check the other faculty's handbook and course information for further details.