Finance Major (Undergraduate)
The Discipline of Finance works in partnership with the Australian Securities Exchange, the CFA Institute, the Australian Financial Markets Association and several of the largest banking, broking, accounting and funds management businesses in the region. A sound knowledge of finance is important for graduates in a wide range of commerce/economics disciplines. The units offered are designed to integrate a variety of practical applications with essential theory and financial reasoning skills.
Requirements for the major
Note. The following information is for students who commenced study in their degree from 2011. Students who commenced prior to 2011 should refer to the information below listed under "Pre-2011 continuing students".
For the award of a major in Finance, students complete:
(i) any one junior unit of study (six credit points) from the University of Sydney Business School.
It is strongly recommended that students wishing to complete a major in Finance complete the following junior units in their first year of study (subject to degree restraints):
- BUSS1020 Quantitative Business Analysis* (or ECMT1010 Business and Economic Statistics A)
- BUSS1040 Economics for Business Decision Making * (or ECON1001 Introductory Microeconomics and ECON1002 Introductory Macroeconomics)
* These units are core units for the Bachelor of Commerce and must be completed.
(ii) three compulsory senior units of study (18 credit points), as follows:
- FINC2011 Corporate Finance I
- FINC2012 Corporate Finance II
- FINC3017 Investments and Portfolio Management
(iii) a minimum of 18 credit points in senior elective units of study (a minimum of three units) selected from the following:
- FINC3011 International Financial Management
- FINC3012 Derivative Securities
- FINC3013 Mergers and Acquisitions
- FINC3014 Trading and Dealing in Security Markets
- FINC3015 Financial Valuation: Case Study Approach
- FINC3018 Bank Financial Management
- FINC3019 Fixed Income Securities
- FINC3020 Financial Risk Management
- FINC3021 Mathematical Finance
- FINC3022 Alternative Investments
- FINC3023 Behavioural Finance.
Note: Senior units of study can be used to count towards the requirements of one major only. Senior units cannot be "double counted" towards two majors. For example, FINC3011 cannot be counted towards both a major in Finance and a major in International Business.
The following information is for Pre-2011 continuing students only
Requirements for the Finance major for students who commenced study in their degree prior to 2011
Pre-2011 continuing students can choose to follow the requirements for a major as set out above or can follow the requirements for their major as set out in the following downloadable PDFs. Students should also refer to the handbook for the year they commenced study for the exact details of the requirements of their degree and majors.
- Requirements for a Finance major or extended major for students who commenced study in their degree in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 or 2010
- Requirements for a Finance major or double major for students who commenced study in their degree before 2006
The University of Sydney is recognised as a program partner through the Bachelor of Commerce (majoring in Finance). The curriculum is closely tied to professional practice and will provide you with a solid foundation and positioning to successfully sit the CFA exams. For details please refer to CFA Program Partners. In addition to the Finance major, it is also recommended that you complete the free online learning module, Ethics and Standards of Practice available through the CFA Institute®.
"CFA" & "CFA Institute" are registered trademarks of CFA Institute.
The Finance major is an available option in the following degrees offered by the Business School:
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Commerce and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies)
Pre-2011 continuing students enrolled in these former Faculty of Economics and Business degrees can also complete a major or electives in Finance: FH029 Bachelor of Economics, FH035 Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery; and Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws (electives only).
Students in the following combined Bachelor of Commerce degrees administered by the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technologies also have the option of completing a major in Finance:
- Bachelor of Engineering and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Commerce
A Finance major or electives in this area may also be available to students enrolled in other degrees in the University. Students should check the other faculty's handbook or course information for further details.