Quantitative Business Analysis (Undergraduate)
The Quantitative Business Analysis major has been renamed Business Analytics for students commencing study from 2015. Pre-2015 continuing students will be able to complete all the units listed for the Business Analytics major under their Quantitative Business Analysis major - see Information for pre-2015 continuing students for details.
Quantitative Business Analysis introduces students to the quantitative methods they will need in order to thrive in the modern business world. Business Analytics is concerned with using business data to develop new insights and understanding. This involves being able to extract and summarise information from the rich data sets readily available in today's business environment; it involves being able to analyse this data in a way that leads to useful models of both the operations and the environment of a business; and it involves being able to respond appropriately as managers to quantitative information and quantitative models, and as such be able to make better business decisions. As well as being useful in their own right, these skills in business analytics will also enhance the effectiveness in the work place of graduates majoring in other business disciplines. There is a range of electives offered within this major, so that students can select topics in business statistics, in operations management and in decision sciences.
This is a compulsory major option for the Bachelor of Commerce (including combined Bachelor of Commerce degrees) and a Major I option for the Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies) (from 2012).
Requirements for the major
Note. The following information is for students who commenced study in their degree in 2015. Students who commenced prior to 2015 should refer to the information below listed under "Pre-2015 continuing students".
For the award of a major in Business Analytics, students complete:
(i) one junior units of study (six credit points), as follows:
- BUSS1020 Quantitative Business Analysis ^ (or ECMT1010 Introduction to Economic Statistics)
^ Bachelor of Commerce students must complete BUSS1010 as it is a core unit for their degree.
(ii) two compulsory senior units of study (12 credit points), as follows:
(iii) a minimum of four senior units of study (24 credit points) selected from the following options:
- QBUS2320 Methods of Decision Analysis
- QBUS2330 Operations Management
- QBUS2350 Project Planning and Management
- QBUS2820 Predictive Analytics
- QBUS3310 Advanced Management Science
- QBUS3320 Supply Chain Management
- QBUS3810 Business Risk Analysis
- QBUS3820 Data Mining and Data Analysis
- QBUS3830 Advanced Analytics.
Note: Senior units of study can only count towards the requirements for one major. Senior units cannot be "double counted" towards two majors.
Pre-2015 continuing students should follow the requirements for their major as set out in the following downloadable PDFs. Students should also refer to the handbook of the year you commenced for the exact details of their degree and major requirements.
- Requirements for a Quantitative Business Analysis major for students who commenced study in their degree from 2012 to 2014.
- Requirements for an Operations Management and Decision Sciences major or extended major for students who commenced study in their degree in 2009, 2010 or 2011
- Requirements for a Management Decision Sciences major or extended major for students who commenced study in their degree in 2006, 2007, or 2008
- Requirements for a Management Decision Sciences major or double major for students who commenced study in their degree in 2005
- Requirements for a Management Science major or double major for students who commenced study in their degree before 2005
The Business Analytics major is an available option in the following degrees offered by the Business School:
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Commerce and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies)
Pre-2015 continuing students enrolled in these former Faculty of Economics and Business degrees can also complete a major or electives in Quantitative Business Analysis or Operations Management and Decision Sciences: Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, Bachelor of Economics, Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery; and Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws (electives only).
Students in the following combined Bachelor of Commerce degrees administered by the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technologies also have the option of completing a major in Business Analytics:
- Bachelor of Engineering and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Commerce
A Business Analytics major or electives in this area may also be available to students enrolled in other degrees in the University. Students should check the other faculty's course information for further details.