Quantitative Business Analysis (Undergraduate)
Quantitative Business Analysis introduces students to the quantitative methods they will need in order to thrive in the modern business world. Business Analytics is concerned with using business data to develop new insights and understanding. This involves being able to extract and summarise information from the rich data sets readily available in today's business environment; it involves being able to analyse this data in a way that leads to useful models of both the operations and the environment of a business; and it involves being able to respond appropriately as managers to quantitative information and quantitative models, and as such be able to make better business decisions. As well as being useful in their own right, these skills in business analytics will also enhance the effectiveness in the work place of graduates majoring in other business disciplines. There is a range of electives offered within this major, so that students can select topics in business statistics, in operations management and in decision sciences.
Please Note. The Quantitative Business Analysis major replaced the Operations Management and Decision Sciences major in 2012. For pre-2012 continuing students who wish to complete a Operations Management and Decision Sciences major, please refer to the "Information for Pre-2012 continuing students".
This is a compulsory major option for the Bachelor of Commerce (including combined Bachelor of Commerce degrees) and a Major I option for the Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies) (from 2012).
Requirements for the major
Note. The following information is for students who commenced study in their degree in 2012. Students who commenced prior to 2012 should refer to the information below listed under "Pre-2012 continuing students".
For the award of a major in Quantitative Business Analysis, students complete:
(i) one junior units of study (six credit points), as follows:
- BUSS1020 Quantitative Business Analysis ^ (or ECMT1010 Business and Economic Statistics A)
^ Bachelor of Commerce students must complete BUSS1010 as it is a core unit for their degree.
(ii) two compulsory senior units of study (12 credit points), as follows:
- QBUS2310 Management Science (or ECMT2620 Management Science*)
- QBUS2810 Statistical Modelling for Business
(iii) a minimum of four senior units of study (24 credit points) selected from the following options:
- QBUS2320 Methods of Decision Analysis (or ECMT2630 Managerial Decision Making*)
- QBUS2330 Operations Management (or ECMT2640 Operations Management*)
- QBUS2350 Project Planning and Management (or ECMT3640 Project Planning and Management*)
- QBUS2820 Predictive Analytics (new unit for 2013)
- QBUS3310 Advanced Management Science (or ECMT3610 Management Science Models and Methods*)
- QBUS3320 Supply Chain Management
- QBUS3810 Business Risk Analysis (or ECMT3180 Business Risk Management*)
- QBUS3820 Data Mining and Data Analysis
- QBUS3830 Advanced Analytics.
* Not longer offered.
Note: Senior units of study can only count towards the requirements for one major. Senior units cannot be "double counted" towards two majors.
The following information is for Pre-2012 continuing students only
Requirements for the Operations Management and Decision Sciences, Management Decision Sciences or Management Science majors for students who commenced study in their degree prior to 2012
Pre-2012 continuing students should follow the requirements for their major as set out in the following downloadable PDFs. Students should also refer to the handbook of the year you commenced for the exact details of their degree and major requirements.
- Requirements for an Operations Management and Decision Sciences major or extended major for students who commenced study in their degree in 2009, 2010 or 2011
- Requirements for a Management Decision Sciences major or extended major for students who commenced study in their degree in 2006, 2007, or 2008
- Requirements for a Management Decision Sciences major or double major for students who commenced study in their degree in 2005
- Requirements for a Management Science major or double major for students who commenced study in their degree before 2005
The Quantitative Business Analysis major is an available option in the following degrees offered by the Business School:
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (continuing students only)
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Commerce and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies)
Pre-2011 continuing students enrolled in these former Faculty of Economics and Business degrees can also complete a major or electives in Quantitative Business Analysis or Operations Management and Decision Sciences: Bachelor of Economics, Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery; and Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws (electives only).
Students in the following combined Bachelor of Commerce degrees administered by the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technologies also have the option of completing a major in Quantitative Business Analysis:
- Bachelor of Engineering and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Commerce
A Quantitative Business Analysis major or electives in this area may also be available to students enrolled in other degrees in the University. Students should check the other faculty's course information for further details.