Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Student Campus Card?

Your University of Sydney Student Campus Card is your University ID card. You need to carry your Student Campus Card with you at all times while you are on campus and display it when you sit formal examinations.

Why do I need a Student Campus Card?

Your Student Campus Card serves to identify you as a student of this University.

You can also use it for:

  • travel concessions (subject to eligibility)
  • borrowing library books
  • student discounts
  • after-hours access to buildings (with relevant faculty staff approval).

How do I get my Student Campus Card?

For most continuing enrolment students, your card will be mailed to you before the start of semester. All new enrolment students are provided with information on obtaining a card on their enrolment day.

A full list of processes for all students is available at How do I get my card

What do I do if I damage my Student Campus Card?

If your card is damaged, you can have a new card issued by the Campus Card Centre on presentation of your old card. You will need to provide photo identification such as driver licence or passport. A fee of $25 may apply for replacement of a damaged card.

What do I do if my Student Campus Card has been lost, stolen or I change my name?

You can to obtain a replacement card from the Campus Card Centre by completing the Replacement Student Campus Card form. This form is available from the Campus Card Centre. You will also need to provide photo identification (passport, driver licence or NSW photo card).

The cost of replacing your Student Campus Card is $25. If you are eligible for a replacement travel concession, replacement travel concession forms are available at the Campus Card Centre. The form requires endorsement by the Campus Card Centre and $28 is payable to the Passes & Concessions Office at the below address:

In person
Passes & Concessions Counter
Rail Information Centre
Grand Concourse
Central Railway Station, Sydney
Monday to Friday, 8.30am to
(cash, EFTPOS and credit cards accepted)

By mail
Passes & Concessions Office
Locked Bag 5085
Parramatta NSW 2124
(cheque/money order/credit card)

Change of name
If you require a replacement card due to a change in name, please ensure your details have been changed at the Student Centre before visiting the Campus Card Centre.
You will need to bring identification or documentation that confirms the change of name. There is no fee involved for these replacements.

Am I eligible for a travel concession?

You are advised to visit the Transport for NSW website for any pass concession entitlement enquiries or concerns. The Campus Card Centre acts as an agent for the Department of Transport and Infrastructure and is required to follow the eligibility criteria set by them when issuing a travel concession. If you are eligible to receive a travel concession on your Student Campus Card, please visit the Campus Card Centre.

I recently moved house, and do so frequently, can I collect my card in person?

The Campus Card Centre advises students to ensure their correspondence address is always up to date in MyUni before 31st December each year.
If you have changed address after this date, we advise you to contact Australia Post to put a Redirection or Mail-hold service on your mail.
Undelivered mail will usually return to us quickly and we will contact you when it does, however a replacement fee may apply if you require a card beforehand.

My card doesn’t have concession and I’m eligible, what do I do?

Please contact the Campus Card Centre, where we will assess your eligibility for travel concession, and issue a travel concession foil if you meet the requirements.

After uploading my photo, can I collect my card before the dates in the email?

Unfortunately, your card will not be available prior to the advised collection dates due to the production turnaround required for card issuance.

If I can’t get to the collection site on the dates listed what do I do?

If you missed the collection site on the advised dates, you may collect your card from the Campus Cards counter in the Student Centre throughout semester.
Please be aware that there may be lengthy queues, so allow some waiting time when collecting your card.

What is “Page 4” of the Enrolment Papers?

Page 4 of the enrolment papers is a fee information sheet that you should receive during enrolment which contains a barcode at the bottom of the page. We will use this barcode to locate your student record in our database.
If you do not have this page, please bring a record of your 9-digit student number.