Job search strategies
8 keys to a successful job search:
- Establish a plan: aim to send out a certain number of applications per week.
- Stay organised: allow sufficient time for the job search and keep records of all your applications and related job advertisements.
- Research your target industry and identify your preferred employers within that industry.
- Prepare a professional resume that clearly demonstrates your capabilities and the value you would bring to an employer. Make sure you tailor your resume to each role you apply for.
- Tailor your cover letter for each role you apply for, ensure you briefly address all the key selection criteria and demonstrate your enthusiasm for the role.
- Build and foster relationships with key people in your target industry and/or employing organisation. Don't forget, 80% of jobs are found through word of mouth.
- Be open to opportunities and think laterally about how you can use and promote your skills.
- Stay confident: engage in activities that will keep your energy levels high as well as maintain your focus on the job search.