What are they?
A number of organisations offer structured Vacation/Internship programmes over the summer break. These are generally:
- Paid work opportunities
- Directly related to your degree
- Offered to penultimate year students
- To apply your skills and gain on-the-ground experience.
- To build your networks, and boost your chances of being offered a Graduate position at the end of your degree.
- To boost your income.
- It is compulsory for some degrees, e.g. Engineering
Where do I find the opportunities?
Positions are generally advertised early to mid year, so check out:
- Sydney CareerHub
- The careers section of the Graduate Opportunities website
- Collect a copy of Undergraduate Opportunities or Univac from the Careers Centre
- Attend the Internship and Vacation Work Fair
- Vacation work programs promoted at the University of Sydney
- The employment section of employer websites
Also be proactive and write to employers for whom you would like to work asking them about Vacation/Internship opportunities.
How do I apply for it?
You will need to send to potential employers a strong: