What are extra-curricular activities?
Any activities you engage in outside of your studies, e.g. sporting, public speaking, special interest groups, the arts, political, educational, environmental, community or church activities.
Why get involved?
- Employers love to see them on a resume!
- Graduate employment application forms often ask for details of extra curricular activity.
- Involvement in extra-curricular activity can demonstrate highly sought after skills such as initiative, drive, leadership, teamwork, communication and interpersonal skills.
- The provide valuable networking opportunities.
Where do I find opportunities to get involved?
- Get involved with one or more of the many clubs and societies on campus.
- Conduct a search in the Yellow Pages or on the internet for any area of personal or professional interest, e.g. “Chess Clubs”, “Toastmasters”, etc.
How do I get involved?
Clubs and societies welcome new members and participants. All it usually takes is a visit, an email or a phone call.