Who can I talk to if I am feeling overwhelmed?

Change affects everyone, and remember that your child’s transition into university is a transition for you as well. As such it’s important to recognise some of the changes happening in your own life (e.g. more time on my hands, less predictability) and look after your own needs. Remember that feelings of anxiety, excitement and even ambivalence are all normal things for a parent to experience. It’s also okay to be looking forward to the peace and quite of having your child out of the house a little more.

If however, you are finding it either difficult to cope with the transition or overwhelmed by the stress of your child’s time at university it may be helpful to talk to someone about your worries. For many people the first people they turn to are their partners or other parents. This may be all the support you need. But if you are starting to feel anxious or down a lot of the time then speaking to a Clinical Psychologist may be of use. You can speak to your GP about getting a referral for a Clinical Psychologist.

So, in summary:

  • Allow yourself to feel however you feel. There’s no right or wrong.
  • Make well-being a goal for yourself by taking care physically and emotionally.
  • Make sure you have someone to talk to yourself.
  • Be courageous with the transition.