Helpful websites and contacts
Whilst CAPS is here for you during working hours, sometimes life gets tough outside of these times. Below are a series of telephone numbers and websites that can provide you with more information about mental health and also help you out in times of crisis:
Where to seek professional help
Useful phone numbers
- The University of Sydney Counselling and Psychological Services.
Telephone: 8627-8433 or 8627-8437
- Your general practitioner.
- Your community health centre.
- Transcultural Mental Health Service - Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm
Telephone: 02 98403767 or 02 9840 3899,
Toll Free: 1800 648 91
- For immediate counselling assistance, contact Lifeline on 131-114.
Lifeline can also give you further contacts, information and help.
- Lifeline: 13 11 14 for 24 hour phone counselling and crisis support
- Mental Health Access Line: 1800 011 511 (24 hours) will put you in touch with the Adult Crisis Team in your local area
- Transcultural Mental Health Service : Free call 1800 648 911 or (02) 9912 3851 (Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm)
- NSW Rape Crisis Centre: 1800 424 017 (24 hours) or (02) 9819 6565
- National Sexual Assault Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service: 1800 737 732
- Sexual Assault Counselling Australia 1800 211 028 (8am - 11pm, Monday to Friday)
- Kids Helpline (for up to 25 years old): 1800 551 800
- Family Drug support: 1300 368 186
- Domestic Violence Line: 1800 656 463
- Alcohol & Drug Information Service: 1800 422 599 (NSW country) or (02) 9361 8000 (Sydney) 24 hour advice, information & referral
- Twenty10 (LGBTIQ Support): Metro Support: 02 8594 9555, Rural freecall: 1800 65 2010
- QLife Australia: 1800 184 527 (daily 3pm-Midnight)
- Australian Centre for Grief and Bereavement: 1800 642 066
- HIV/AIDS Info Line: (02) 9332 9700
- NSW Gambling Help 1800 858 858
- University Health Service: (02) 9351 3484
- International Office: 1800 SYD UNI
Below are some Australian websites with helpful information about common problems, sources of help and ways to manage how you are feeling.
- Just Ask Us
- Australian Psychological Society
- Black Dog Institute
- Gamblers Anonymous
- Mood Gym
- Centre for Clinical Interventions
- Transcultural Mental Health Service
- Association for Friends and Relatives of the Mentally Ill (ARAFMI)
Mental health disorder information
Bipolar Mood Disorder
Other mental health issues:
For information on a wide range of mental health topics translated into many languages see: