Sydney Student

Sydney Student is the University's new online student self-administration service. You will now have your own secure and private portal in which to manage most of the admin relating to your studies.

You can access Sydney Student via MyUni, using your UniKey and password – click on the Sydney Student icon on the left-hand side.

Sydney Student means you will have:

  • one central, University-wide student administration system
  • consistent administration processes across all faculties and schools
  • reliable and secure 24/7 online access to self-manage your candidature
  • improved access to online information and services
  • user-friendly administrative support
  • less paperwork
  • the ability to make requests, as well as track progress from submission to approval.

What can I now do online through Sydney Student?

1. Sydney Student: academic requests

Select units of study

In Sydney Student, coursework students have a collection of allowed units of study generated for them, based on their course and, where applicable, major or specialisation selections. This will provide the framework for your unit of study selection and give you an improved structure and validation around unit selection.

You can add, withdraw and discontinue from units of study online through Sydney Student by the relevant deadline. Please note discontinuation from a subject after the census incurs a financial liability and the unit will remain on your transcript, possibly with a fail grade.

If you have been automatically withdrawn from units of study and you have to enrol in replacement units of study, Sydney Student has built-in functionality that will help you manage your enrolment loads, subject to ESOS legislation.

Special permission/departmental permission

You can apply online for Special Permission to request entry to a unit of study you cannot select normally because:

  • it isn’t available within your course
  • you don’t satisfy entry requirements, or
  • it does not fit within the framework of your course and your other units.

If you need permission from the relevant department or school regarding your unit of study selection, this is managed via a similar online request to Special Permission (above).

Student Appeals against exclusion is now online, and you can provide supporting documentation from your Sydney Student portal.

Administration staff will assess your request online, provide recommendations on and submit decisions on these requests directly to your Sydney Student portal.

2. Sydney Student: administration

Candidature changes

With Sydney Student, you can vary your own candidature online:

  • Change your personal details
  • Change residency/citizenship
  • Request leave (suspension of studies)
  • Discontinue your course
  • Request a course transfer
  • Request credit
  • Change your attendance type

With Sydney Student you can submit a request to discontinue from your course online. Before discontinuing your course, you should get some advice from your faculty about what this change will mean for you.

Course transfer

You can now apply to transfer into allowable courses through Sydney Student. Go to ‘My studies’, ‘Course details’, and then select ‘Request course transfer’. You'll either be shown a list of allowable courses in Sydney Student or directed to your faculty to check if recognition for prior learning (RPL) applies.

Allowable course transfers include upgrading or downgrading or transferring from a double degree into a single degree.

Credit requests

You may be eligible to apply for advanced standing in your course based on:

  • previous attainment of another award course at the University or another institution, known as credit; and/or
  • other prior learning, known as recognition for prior learning (RPL).

To apply you need to complete an Application for Credit and/or Recognition for Prior Learning form in Sydney Student. Log in and go to 'My studies'.

Please submit your application as soon as possible to allow time for processing before semester starts. You will see the University's decision in your Sydney Student portal and you can accept, change, or decline online.

Fixed dates for changes

You need to know the important dates for requesting changes so that you have the approvals you need. Sydney Student has fixed dates by which changes must be processed. Changes cannot be made after the census dates for semesters.

Exam results – one date for all results each semester

Now, exam results are released twice a year at fixed dates each semester.

You will see your results in your Sydney Student portal, under My Studies > Assessments. You will no longer be sent your results by post. If you need an official printed results notice, please contact the Student Centre.

Note: Summer/Winter School and some intensive sessions publish their results at different times from above. You need to check on these for yourself.


For Semester 1, 2015, you can re-enrol online as soon as your results are released (early December) and you have been confirmed to progress.

Return from suspension

If you are currently on suspension, you will now be able to submit an online request via your Sydney Student portal to have your returning enrolment record prepared and continue your studies.

If you fail to enrol, re-enrol or return from suspension by the appropriate census date, your candidature will automatically lapse and you might be withdrawn from your studies if you do not respond in a timely fashion to communications from the Student Centre and/or your faculty. These communications will be sent to your University email address. If your enrolment lapses, you can submit a new application for admission online.

International students

With Sydney Student, international students can submit a request online to reduce their load, which will be processed by staff in line with ESOS and visa compliance.

Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Students

Commencing or returning HDR students now have four research periods, not two semesters, in which they can manage their candidacy.

For 2015, HDR students can enrol online between late November (calendar roll-over) and end of January the next year.

You can manage your candidature online using your Sydney Student portal.

3. Sydney Student: finance

Managing your finances

You can manage your finances via the My Finance tab in your Sydney Student portal. Any balances carried forward, or transaction details relating to Semester 1, have been consolidated into a single 'Opening balance', showing tuition fees, Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) and Student Services and Amenities Fee (SAF) respectively.

When you first log into Sydney Student, you will see a new Statement of Fees. The first statement to be issued through Sydney Student will be for Semester 2, 2014.

You will be able to access historical statement of fees due for 2013 and Semester 1, 2014. You can request back copies of statements from the Student Centre.

New Customer Reference Number (CRN)

In Sydney Student, you will receive a 13 digit CRN instead of your current 10 digit CRN.

You will see the new CRN in your Sydney Student portal. You need to update your preference settings in your personal online banking facility.

When you are paying tuition fees via BPAY, please use your new 13 digit CRN, found in your Sydney Student Portal > My Finance > Your finances > Payment method.

Prizes, bursaries and loans

Applications and requests for prizes, bursaries and loans can be made online. These will be available under the 'My Finance' menu and include the following:

  • Advertised bursary application
  • Apply for loan extension
  • Finance assistance application
  • Fund payment rejections – update to account information
  • Literary prize application

Getting help

Using Sydney Student

You must have a current UniKey and password to access your Sydney Student portal.

Administrative support

You can contact the Student Centre for assistance using Sydney Student.

1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864) or +61 2 8627 1444 (if outside Australia)

Online enquiry form

The Student Centre will be able to assist with:

  • Enrolment
  • HECS and fees information
  • Administrative errors and revisions
  • Changes to results, late results
  • Academic Model management for example, changes to collections of allowed units of study within your course.
Technical issues

You can reset your UniKey password by calling the ICT helpdesk on +61 2 9351 6000.

Current students can also visit an ICT Access Lab on campus (make sure you bring your photo ID), where you can reset your password on the spot.

Assistance and support

If you are using assistive technology and have difficulty using the online enrolment system, we can assist you to complete your enrolment on campus. Please contact us:

1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864) (in Australia) or +61 2 8627 1444 (from outside Australia)
Online enquiry form


For international students, if you are enrolling via an agent, and they need to reset their password, they can email the International Information Coordinator on