School-counselling accreditation

In NSW, school counsellors are qualified teachers who also have postgraduate qualifications in psychology (honours or the equivalent of a fourth year of study in psychology) sufficient for eligibility for registration with the Psychology Board of Australia. The MTeach (School Counselling) also provides its graduates with specific qualifications in school counselling and school psychology.

The graduate-entry course in school counselling is ideal for persons who wish to work as school counsellors and have:

  • honours or the equivalent of a fourth year of study in psychology

  • completed units of study at a tertiary level that meet the prerequisites for the graduate-entry secondary-school-teaching course in at least one curriculum area. (This is important. Although graduates will probably not work as classroom teachers they must have a teaching qualification in order to work as a school counsellor/school psychologist under teaching conditions.)

The curriculum-area prerequisites for admission to the graduate-entry school-counselling course are listed on the MTeach prerequisites for school counselling page.