Student Exchange Program
The School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering participates in an extensive range of Student Exchange Programs with Universities throughout Asia-Pacific, Europe and the United States of America. These programs allow chemical engineering students to spend six months to a full academic year in one of the approved institution. The time spent overseas counts full towards the final degree.
By participating in the exchange scheme the students attain a wide range of experience and new learning that includes:
- Access to research technology and facilities
- Global view to technical, social, economic and environmental issues
- Network building
- Overseas industrial experience
- Personal growth, developed self confidence and social skills
- Cultural understanding of the country visited
- Language skills in institutions where English is not the first language
We currently offer two forms of exchange from the University of Sydney; the faculty specific exchange and the study abroad under the University wide exchange scheme.
The institutions under the faculty exchange have recognised teaching academic merits and accreditation, we therefore endorse these institutions in our exchange program.
Exchange under the University wide scheme is assessed individually based on the suitability of individual institutions.
The faculty specific exchange schemes include the following institutions:
- KTH (Kungl Teckniska Hogskolan), Sweden: This is available to students who wish to complete their final year at KTH Sweden.
- INP (Institut National Polytechnique De Tolouse), France: This is available for 3rd year students.
For more information regarding INP, please view the presentation in:
PPTX format (94.2 MB)
PDF format (78.1 MB)
- Imperial College, England: This is available for 2nd to 4th year students who are interested in completing final year studies in London.
United States of America
- Louisiana State University and Iowa State University, United States: These are available for 2nd year students who are interested in completing their 3rd year studies at Iowa State University.
- National University of Singapore, Singapore: This is available for 2nd year students who are interested in completing their 3rd year studies in Singapore
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong: This is available for 2nd year students who are interested in completing their 3rd year studies in Hong Kong.
- Tsinghua University, Beijing China. This is available for 2nd year students who are interested in completing their 3rd year studies in Beijing.
Part of the KTH and INP exchange have included six months industrial placement or research experience within the University.
Supervision During the Exchange
Students who participate in the exchange are required to provide progress reports and forward queries through:
The University of Sydney International Office Exchange Team
United Kingdom/England and France
Ms Kate Boyle
T +612 8627 8321
Ms Chi Chi Huang
T +61 2 8627 8325
Singapore and Sweden
Mr Kenny Lowe
T +61 2 8627 8318
Hong Kong and China
Ms Amanda Chau
T +61 2 8627 8322
The Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, International Coordinator
A/Prof. Marjorie Valix
T +61 2 9351 4995
(will be able to provide advice on selection of units of study and transfer of academic grades)
Exchange Institutions International Coordinator
Students participating in the exchange scheme will have a reciprocal international coordinator in the exchange institution. The coordinator provides academic advice and pastoral care.
Institut National Polytechnique De Tolouse
Ludovic Montastruc and Carlos Vaca Garcia
ENSIACET, 118 route de Narbonne
31 077 Toulouse cedex 4
T +33(0)5 62 88 58 90 Fax:(0)5 62 88 56 00
KTH (Kungl Teckniska Hogskolan)
School of Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology SE-100 44
T +46 8 790 6198 Fax: +46 8 24 93 66
Imperial College, England
Dr. Michael D. Carabine
The Department of Chemical Engineering and Chemical Technology
Imperial College London
ACE Building, Room 201.
T +44 (0)20 7594 5571 Fax: +44 (0)20 7594 5629
Iowa State University
Professor Glenn L. Schrader
Department of Chemical Engineering
Iowa State University
3033 Sweeney Hall
Ames, IA 50011-2230
T (515)294-0519 Fax (515)294-2689
Louisiana State University
Dr. David M. Wetzel
Cain Department of Chemical Engineering
110 Chemical Engineering
South Stadium Road
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Explore international exchange possibilities at our partner universities in over 40 countries worldwide with the Sydney Abroad mobility database.
Search possible exchange destinations by city, location, institution, language requirements, and even faculty and specific study areas with this interactive tool from Sydney Abroad. With over 300 exchange programs to choose from, the Sydney Abroad Brochure Pages can even help you refine their search geographically with an interactive map.
The Sydney Abroad mobility database is a great starting point to help you understand the many choices available and begin your research.
How to Apply?
You can find more information about how to prepare and how to lodge application through the international office website