Arts and Social Sciences (Postgraduate) Handbook 2017
Includes Education and Social Work
Our mission is to engage in research and teaching across the breadth of the humanities and social sciences that makes a difference to the lives of our students, staff and the wider world. What is distinctive about our Faculty is the way we incorporate our internationally recognised research into our teaching and how, in turn, that research is deeply shaped by our engagement with our students and the broader community. In joining us, we want to help you develop the intellectual skills to not only succeed in life, but gain meaning and value from it as well.
University changes to faculty structure
In early 2017 the University will begin the gradual transition to a new structure comprising six faculties and three University schools. For students who are affected (see below) the changes should have little impact on course delivery. Most of you will not see any difference in your day-to-day interaction with the University, however some administrative processes may change in April 2017.
Existing faculty resolutions, including award course resolutions, will transfer to the new faculty or University school. The University of Sydney (Organisational Design – Transitional Provisions) Rule 2016 (114kb PDF) covers the management and governance of the University during the process of implementation of the Organisational Design Strategy. The rule commences on 15 December 2016 and will cease to have an effect on 8 January 2018.
Faculties that are changing in 2017
1. The Faculty of Veterinary Science becomes the University of Sydney School of Veterinary Science within the Faculty of Science. Information regarding Veterinary Science courses will be in the Science Undergraduate and Science Postgraduate handbooks.
2. The Faculty of Agriculture and Environment becomes the Sydney Institute of Agriculture (within the Faculty of Science). The teaching functions will be coordinated by the School of Life and Environmental Sciences. Information regarding Agriculture and Environment courses will be in the Science Undergraduate and Science Postgraduate handbooks.
3. The Faculty of Education and Social Work becomes the University of Sydney School of Education and Social Work within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Information regarding Education and Social Work courses will be in the Arts and Social Sciences Undergraduate and Arts and Social Sciences Postgraduate handbooks.
4. The following faculties will become University schools:
- The Faculty of Architecture, Design and Planning becomes the University of Sydney School of Architecture, Design and Planning.
- The Sydney Conservatorium of Music becomes a University school and retains that name.
- The Sydney Law School becomes the University of Sydney Law School.
5. The current faculties of Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing and Midwifery and Pharmacy will be amalgamated as a single faculty under a new structure. This will take place later in 2017, after an external review. It is proposed that the Faculty of Health Sciences will also merge with these faculties. The current structure remains until a date to be advised.
6. There will be no changes to the University of Sydney Business School and the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technologies.