Sydney Conservatorium of Music Handbook 2017
This handbook brings together all the important course information you need as a student at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. Each undergraduate and postgraduate degree on offer is listed separately and includes a brief course description, typical enrolment patterns plus the Course Resolution. It’s a good idea to check through the mandatory requirements for your degree under the Course Resolutions, so that you can gain a clear understanding of the set levels required within each specialist area of study. These areas include a principal study, major focus (ie. performance, composition, musicology, music education etc), music skills, music analysis, history and culture, and teaching music. A large range of electives is also on offer and further details can be found in the Units of Study lists.
Any future or current student enquiries should be directed to the SCM Student Administration team.
University changes to faculty structure
In early 2017 the University will begin the gradual transition to a new structure comprising six faculties and three University schools. For students who are affected (see below) the changes should have little impact on course delivery. Most of you will not see any difference in your day-to-day interaction with the University, however some administrative processes may change in April 2017.
Existing faculty resolutions, including award course resolutions, will transfer to the new faculty or University school.
Faculties that are changing in 2017
1. The Faculty of Veterinary Science becomes the University of Sydney School of Veterinary Science within the Faculty of Science. Information regarding Veterinary Science courses will be in the Science Undergraduate and Science Postgraduate handbooks.
2. The Faculty of Agriculture and Environment becomes the Sydney Institute of Agriculture (within the Faculty of Science). The teaching functions will be coordinated by the School of Life and Environmental Sciences. Information regarding Agriculture and Environment courses will be in the Science Undergraduate and Science Postgraduate handbooks.
3. The Faculty of Education and Social Work becomes the University of Sydney School of Education and Social Work within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Information regarding Education and Social Work courses will be in the Arts and Social Sciences Undergraduate and Arts and Social Sciences Postgraduate handbooks.
4. The following faculties will become University schools:
- The Faculty of Architecture, Design and Planning becomes the University of Sydney School of Architecture, Design and Planning.
- The Sydney Conservatorium of Music becomes a University school and retains that name.
- The Sydney Law School becomes the University of Sydney Law School.
5. The current faculties of Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing and Midwifery and Pharmacy will be amalgamated as a single faculty under a new structure. This will take place later in 2017, after an external review. It is proposed that the Faculty of Health Sciences will also merge with these faculties. The current structure remains until a date to be advised.
6. There will be no changes to the University of Sydney Business School and the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technologies.