23rd AHSN ANNUAL CONFERENCE 1-3 FEBRUARY 2017
CALL FOR PAPERS
The 23rd AHSN Conference will take place 1-3 February 2017 at the School of Mines Ballarat (SMB) campus of Federation University Australia. The conference will be convened by Dr Angus McLachlan, School of Health Sciences and Psychology, Federation University.
Proposals are welcome for papers from the broad range of humour studies, from those that bear on historical, cultural, and political aspects, through those that pertain to social and psychological features, to those that emerge from sociolinguistic and pragmatic analyses. Humour studies ranges across many disciplines and this conference works to foster dialogue between adherents to all specialisations.
The Conference theme is “Humour: Here and There; Then and Now”. This is intended to recognise that when differing cultures collide-as occurred in Ballarat during its foundation in 1837 and the gold rush era of the 1850s-there is often both tragedy and humour. Papers that fall outside the theme are also welcome.
Post-graduate and honours students researching humour-related topics are specially invited to present on their work-in-progress, and there will be scholarships to assist student attendance. It is also hoped to continue the recent tradition of inviting Keynotes Speakers to address the conference.
THE CALL CLOSES ON 9 SEPTEMBER 2016
TO SUBMIT YOUR PROPOSAL:
- Please prepare your Abstract in a word.doc or .docx format, using Times New Roman 11 pt font, double line spaced. Abstracts must be limited to 500 words, including any references. Do NOT use foot- or end-notes and please retain a dated copy for your own records. You may either upload your Proposal Document, or cut and paste it directly into the box indicated on-line.
- To submit your proposal via the Conference Submission and Review website, click here
- Reaching the Conference Submission and Review website, register as a “User” with a user name and password, and then log-in as an “Author”. At “User Home”, “Authors” click on “New Submission” and follow prompts to submit their proposals (this includes entering personal data and completing a checklist).
- AHSN formal Review Procedures are outlined both on the “About AHSN” page of this website and on the conference submission website.
- Before Submission, you will be asked to confirm that you subscribe to the free AHSN e-Newsletter, The Humour Studies Digest, so as to receive automatic updates about the Conference.
- As in previous years, five Post-Graduate Scholarships (fee-waivers) will be awarded to the first five successfully completed proposals from research students.
- Registration to attend the Conference will open later, remaining open until well after all proposers have been notified of review outcomes. While it is not necessary to pay the registration and attendance fee before submitting a proposal, all presenters and attendees must complete Conference Registration before attending the Conference, using the sidebar link on this page, Conference Registration.
- If you encounter any problems in making your submission or in using the Conference website generally, please contact the site support expert, Hannah McFarlane:
T: +61 2 8627 1906
TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATION
For more information on the Venue and on Travel and Accommodation Options, please follow the sidebar link on this page, Conference Information.
NB: If you are thinking of coming to the Conference, you should BOOK ACCOMMODATION IN BALLARAT EARLY. While there is ample, many of the better priced rooms will be booked well in advance, particularly towards the end of the conference week when there are several other 2017 events being held in Ballarat.
For general enquiries about the conference, please email Angus at: