Other News and Events 2013
News links listed are sourced from community based groups as well as various institutions and companies. Please feel free to contact us about any upcoming cultural, educational or community based indigenous news.
- Mosley warns Mundine over weight loss November 26, 2013
- Qld tribe celebrates native title ruling November 25, 2013
- LITTLE BLACK DUCK: An Australian race to the legal bottom November 25, 2013
- ABC's The Indigenous Quarter Ep12
- The untold stories of thousands of mixed-race children fathered from allied troops posted in Australia during World War II is the focus of a first-of-its kind ARC project led by University of Sydney researchers November 20, 2013
- Coalition government has agreed to delay the progress of the referendum on Aboriginal constitutional recognition to enable further consultation on its wording November 19, 2013
- Uni information sessions for Indigenous students November 18, 2013
- University of Sydney leads field in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander research November 8, 2013
- University of Sydney and Souths Cares project puts the spotlight on university education November 1, 2013
- New research centre sheds light on Western Sydney's most pressing health issues
- Australia 'rates poorly' on federal policies October 9, 2013
- Bill Shorten proposes gay, indigenous quotas September 30, 2013
- Aboriginal peoples resume 25,000-year friendship with dance September 30, 2013
- Abbott recruiting for indigenous council September 25, 2013
- The ethics of paternalism in Aboriginal policy September 24, 2013
- The Black tents that defied a nation September 19, 2013
- Treaty - Makarrata - Treaty - A Reflection by Michael Anderson
- Remains of Kamilaroi ancestors repatriated September 18th, 2013
- Prime Minister for Indigenous Affairs? Hardly
September 12, 2013
- Flinders' Documents Reveal Yolngu Words September 2, 2013
- Empowered Communities initiative 'far from empowering' September 3, 2013
- Australia's Anangu Aboriginal women graduate from AnTEP
Updated 30 March 2012
- Indigenous Literacy Day promotes sharing and equality September 4, 2013
- Apathy about indigenous arts is 'cultural apartheid' September 4, 2013
- Election 2013: Indigenous policy comparison August 30 2013
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Students encouraged to AIME high
- Treasure trove of Indigenous language documents unearthed at NSW State Library
- Rock Art Riches: The Devastating Cost of Australia’s Mining Boom
- IBA 2014 Scholarships will open on Monday, 2 September 2013 at 9.00am AEST
- Funds to help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students Get Prepared for university
- Aboriginal artefacts to become accessible online
- Lilly Brown, the first indigenous Australian to graduate from Cambridge, looks to rewrite history
- Match between Mudgeeraba Redbacks and Nerang Roosters U14 teams marred by parent's racial abuse from sidelines
- Aboriginal men sue Qantas for false imprisonment
- Fortescue fights orders to protect Aboriginal graves
- Euahlayi Nation declares independence and asserts pre-existing and continuing Statehood
- Slaughter on stolen lands
Review By Raymond Evans
While we remember our casualties in overseas wars, no toll exists for Aboriginal deaths during the brutal colonisation of Australia.
- Aboriginal tourism plan welcomed
- Circles of Healing give happiness
- Culture is Life: Promoting community led solutions
to Indigenous youth suicide
- Wingara Mura: an update from Professor Shane Houston
- Education is the key to stamping out racism
By Professor Shane Houston. First published in The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander school students dream big at the University of Sydney
Events listed are sourced from community based groups as well as various institutions and companies. Please feel free to contact us about any upcoming cultural, educational or community based indigenous events.
- Monthly Redfern Wrap Around – Connecting Community to Services All services Under the One Roof ‘ including Centrelink, Medicare, Child Support, RTA (Licensing information), Office of State Revenue (Make an arrangement for unpaid debts) Aboriginal Legal Service, to name a few.
Held monthly on the following dates:
10th September, 22nd October, 19th November, 10th December
Save the children – Red Bus – will be on site from 1-2.30pm
- 3rd January 2014 University of Sydney INFO DAY
- Many more events can be found here
$5.6 million for University of Sydney to lead on cultural competence
A grant of $5.6 million will support the creation of the National Centre for Cultural Competence at the University of Sydney, establishing it as the first university in the world to address cultural understanding at a whole of university level.
click here for the full story.
People Like Us
By 2016 it will be 50 years since Charles Perkins became the first Aboriginal man to graduate from an Australian university, the University of Sydney. By 2016 our aim is to welcome an additional 600 talented and passionate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people into our diverse university community.
for more info about the 2016 project click here