Application for Honours
2017 Application Information
- WAM cut-off for entry to 2017 Honours: 75*
- 2017 Honours Application Form
- 2017 Honours Supervisors
- 2017 Honours Information Session
- Applications close: Tuesday 13 December 2016
*Students who fall marginally short of the entry WAM (ie, those with a WAM of 74+) may apply to the Dean for special entry on the basis that they can demonstrate aptitude for extended research. A strong record of achievement in academic essay writing or other evidence of high level research and writing skills is required. If you are a student with a WAM between 74 and 74.9 and you wish to apply for Honours, please attach a statement which outlines your capacity for high level research and writing. This statement should not exceed 300 words.
Eligibility for Honours
In order to be eligible to undertake Honours in either Semester 1 or 2 2017, you must meet the following criteria:
1. Completion of a minimum of 16 compulsory law units of study (including LAWS1006 Foundations of Law, LAWS1013 Legal Research I and LAWS1019 Legal Research II) by the application closing date.
- If you have received credit for law studies undertaken at another institution, you should include the units undertaken at the other institution in this total.
- If you have less than 16 units of study, you will be eligible to apply for the 2018 Honours program, although you may be restricted in the semester in which you enrol.
2. Satisfied requirements of your first degree by the application closing date.
3. Meet the relevant WAM cut-off.
- The WAM will be calculated on the basis of all law units of study completed at Sydney Law School by the end of Semester 2 2016.
- Results from Foundations of Law and any electives will not be included in this calculation.
- The WAM will be calculated by adding the results from every compulsory law unit (with the exception of Foundations Law), and dividing this by the total number of units. You must calculate your own WAM – this will not be provided to you.
4. Submission of a research proposal (Honours application form) that has been signed by you AND your prospective supervisor.
For further information on Honours, please contact