Cross-Institutional Study (Inbound)

Cross-institutional study allows students enrolled in an accredited Juris Doctor degree at another Australian institution to undertake units at Sydney Law School for the purpose of credit to their degree. Upon completion a transcript can be obtained which outlines the units of study undertaken.

Eligibility Criteria and Unit Restrictions

Applications for non-degree study are considered based on the following conditions:

  • Applicants must be currently enrolled in a Juris Doctor at a recognised law school.
  • A maximum of 48 credit points (and no more than 24 credit points per semester) of cross-institutional study can be approved. Applicants seeking more than 48 credit points of study at Sydney Law School should apply for admission to the Juris Doctor via the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC).
  • Selection is based on academic merit. A law average equivalent to a Sydney Law School grade of Credit or higher with no fail grades is normally required. Applicants must also satisfy any unit pre-requisites for approval to be granted.
  • Applicants are not eligible to apply for units which have quota restrictions including: International Law Moot; Social Justice units; and Sydney Law Review.
  • Applicants are not eligible to apply for Bachelor of Laws or Master’s level units.
  • Other units may also be restricted at the time of application.

Application Information

For Semester 1 AND Semester 2 2017:

  • Applications open - 7 December 2016
  • Applications close - 27 January 2017

For a list of 2017 units on offer, unit descriptions, and the 2017 timetable please refer to Course Information.

To apply, please refer to Law Postgraduate Cross-Institutional. For assistance in making an application, please contact:

Future Student Enquiries

Phone: 1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864) (in Australia)
and +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)
Domestic applicants (Australian or New Zealand citizens or permanent residents of Australia)
Email via online enquiry:
International applicants (Citizens of any country other than Australia and New Zealand, and not permanent residents of Australia)
Email via online enquiry: