Costs for international students

Fee payment - international students

The fee payment process for international students is administered by the International Office at the University of Sydney. Having read the information provided by the International Office, should you wish for further clarification regarding fee payment, please e-mail the International Office:

The University’s tuition fees are reviewed annually and may be varied during the period of study. The exact tuition fee for your course may depend on the specific units of study in which you enrol.

Course fees - international students

All postgraduate courses, both research and coursework, are fee-paying courses. Fees are payable before each semester. If you are enrolled in a coursework course your fees are calculated on the units of study in which you enrol that semester. Please see the International Office's page on refund policy for international students for information relating to how to pay fees, cancellation and refund policies and other useful information on costs and fees.

Part-time study - international students

If you are an international student on a student visa you may only study on a full-time basis, apart from under exceptional circumstances.

If you are here on another type of visa that permits study, such as a spouse visa or working visa, you may be able to study part-time. Please check with the federal government's Department of Immigration and Citizenship regarding the conditions on your visa.

If you are undertaking a course by distance education then you don't need a visa except for any residential component of the course, and you may study part-time.

If you study part-time the fee will be calculated on a pro rata basis.

Health cover - international students

Medical insurance (Overseas Student Health Cover or OSHC) is compulsory for all international students. The International Office will, on receipt of your first payment of tuition fees and the OSHC premium, pay the compulsory OSHC to Medibank Private on your behalf. After this initial payment, you are responsible for annual renewals. OSHC provides free access to the University’s health service and to public hospitals. Higher-level coverage (e.g. access to private hospitals, or coverage for spouse and family) is your responsibility. Waiting periods apply for some health treatments.

More information is available on the International Office website.

Refunds - international students

Please refer to the University's policy on refunds for international students.

Permanent residency and refunds - international students

If you obtain Australian permanent residency by 31 March (March semester) or 31 August (July semester) and become a HECS-paying or local fee-paying student by these dates, you will be refunded 100 percent of the fees paid for that semester. There will be no refund if you obtain permanent residency after these dates.