Enrolment and variations for current Medical Program students

Vaccination against infectious diseases

Before starting your clinical placement (if applicable), you are required to comply with the NSW Department of Health's Policy Directive: Occupational Assessment, Screening & Vaccination Against Specified Infectious Diseases.

Participation in screening and vaccination according to the Directive is a prerequisite for students for clinical placement in the facilities of NSW Health. Failure to comply with the requirements of the Directive may jeopardise completion of your studies.

The Directive requires that you consult your local doctor to obtain proof of your immunity status and/or be vaccinated against diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, hepatitis B, influenza and tuberculosis. Tuberculosis screening must be conducted by your local Chest Clinic. Once established, proof of immunity or vaccination must be carried with you at all times when on placement in the facilities of NSW Health and will be required prior to this placement. A "Record Card" will be provided at enrolment for this purpose. The Directive can be accessed at www.health.nsw.gov.au/policies/index or for further information, contact your local Public Health Unit under "Health" in the White Pages.

Criminal record check

Please note the policy on criminal record checks for University students undertaking clinical placements is currently under review and will be updated here as soon as it is available.

Prohibited employment declaration

The NSW Child Protection (Prohibited Employment) Act 1998 regulates the employment of “prohibited persons” in “child-related employment”. Under the Act a “prohibited person” is a person who has committed a serious sex offence. “Child related employment” means employment, paid or unpaid, which involves direct contact with children, where that contact is not directly supervised. The Act specifically includes persons undertaking practical training as part of an education or vocational course within its definition of employment. Under the Act, the University must, before referring a student to a child-related placement, require that student to disclose whether or not he or she is a “prohibited person”. Further, if the University becomes aware that a student is a “prohibited person” it must not refer that student to a child-related placement.

It follows from the above that if you are enrolling in, or are already enrolled in, a course which requires you to undertake a placement in a setting where you are in direct contact with children you are required to complete a Prohibited Employment Declaration form and return it to the university.