Hornsby Kur-ing-gai Health Service
Hornsby Hospital was opened in 1922 as a cottage hospital. Today, the catchment area for the hospital contains approximately 205,000 persons about 55,000 of whom are children and about 20,000 over the age of 65. In August 1988 the Hornsby Ku-Ring-Gai Hospital became a Primary Teaching Centre (general) as part of the Northern Sydney Local Health District. This move has united Royal North Shore, Manly, Mona Vale, Ryde and Hornsby Hospitals as part of Sydney Medical School - Northern.
Located in Sydney's upper North Shore, Hornsby Hospital is an acute care hospital with 300 beds: 200 general, 25 maternity, 24 mental health, 26 rehabilitation and aged care and 25 paediatric. It is the major centre for the Hornsby and Ku-Ring-Gai Health Service.
Dr. Narelle Shadbolt is the Sydney Medical School - Northern Sub-Dean at the hospital. She or staff at the Academic General Practice Unit are happy to assist students who have any queries during their time at Hornsby.
The clinical school, located on the ground floor of building 3, is co-located with the campus library and has the following facilities available for students:
- Common Room
- Computer/Internet Access
Parking at the hospital and on the surrounding streets is generally readily available. Student identification badges should be displayed at all times while in the hospital.
Hornsby Hospital is a short bus ride or 20 minute walk from Hornsby or Waitara railway station allowing for easy access to all of the Sydney metropolitan area. Hornsby Hospital is ideally situated for those students who may wish to bushwalk in the Ku-ring-gai National Park or take a boat trip on the Hawkesbury River.
Click here for the Hornsby Hospital building layout - PDF Document - 281kb