Royal North Shore Hospital
Royal North Shore Hospital was opened as a cottage hospital in 1885. However, with the growth of the north shore of Sydney the hospital was expanded and commenced on its present site in 1903. It became a teaching hospital of the University of Sydney in 1948. By the 1970s it was evident that a larger hospital was needed and in 1977 the brown brick hospital building was opened. This became quite a landmark in the local area. Now after thirty-five years the doors of this hospital have closed and a brand new Royal North Shore Hospital has been built.
Work commenced in 2008 on the new $950 million Royal North Shore Hospital and Community Health Services project which has delivered patient-centred buildings of outstanding civic quality, with a flexible design that can expand to meet future healthcare needs.
The new main hospital building is relatively low rise, with innovative colour-coded internal spaces to help people navigate the hospital environment. The design maximises local views, light and space to create a welcoming, healing environment, while the compact footprint ensures that every department is within two minutes walk of the main lift core.
The Community Health Centre building is located on Herbert Street and offers a range of facilities to support local community health services. It was opened in early 2011.
The redeveloped Royal North Shore Hospital campus provides:
- 462 acute beds to complement the 124 beds provided within the already completed Douglas Building;
- 40 acute mental health beds;
- Additional chemotherapy and renal dialysis chairs;
- Enhanced diagnostic services and ambulatory care services;
- A total of 29 procedure and operating rooms.
Royal North Shore Hospital is one of the largest general hospitals in Australia. It provides a comprehensive range of medical services to the upper and lower north shore areas of Sydney as well as being a tertiary referral service state-wide. The Emergency Department is designated as a major trauma centre for the northern region. The new hospital was officially opened in December 2012.
The hospital is a bus ride or train ride from Sydney City Centre and there is easy access by public transport to all parts of the Sydney metropolitan area from the hospital. Medical Students may use the staff cafeteria and there is a large sports oval opposite for soccer, rugby, Aussie rules or general fitness activities.
Identification badges should be displayed at all times while on the hospital campus.