In December 1918 a decision was made to erect a War Memorial Hospital for the Ryde District rather than an obelisk or stone memorial in honour of those from the district who had served their country in the First World War.
The Ryde District Soldiers' Memorial Hospital was officially opened on May 12, 1934 with 56 beds. Now known as the Ryde Hospital it has 212 beds to serve the municipalities of Ryde, Hunters Hill and nearby suburbs. The hospital has a busy Emergency Department and its facilities include a modern Intensive Care/Coronary Care Unit, Rehabilitation Assessment Unit, Maternity Unit, Day Surgery Unit, and general and specialist medicine and surgery with an emphasis on minimally invasive surgery.
Ryde Hospital was previously associated with the Clinical School of Sydney Hospital and following 1982 with the reduction in size of that hospital, has had clinical teaching associations with the RNSH, Hornsby Hospital and Repatriation General Hospital Concord. Ryde Hospital and Community Health Services are part of the Northern Sydney Area Health Service fully associated with the Northern Clinical School.