To be able to complete the application package, you must have Adobe Reader 7 or higher. You may not be able to open the file if you are running an older version of Adobe Reader.
If you are using a public computer, please reset the Application Package after completing and printing it. Failure to do so may result in your details remaining when the next person opens the package on that computer.
To make an initial application for an elective with the Sydney Medical School - Northern, students are required to submit the following 3 documents via email as a colour scan (NO photos will be accepted):
- An Elective Application Package consisting of:
- Elective Application Form
- NSW Health Code of Conduct Agreement
- NSW Health Student Undertaking
- Prohibited Employment Declaration
- NSW Health Form 2. - Tuberculosis (TB) assessment tool
- NSW Health Form 3. - Student Undertaking/Declaration
- A letter of good standing from a senior staff member of the student's Medical School (in English or WITH a certified translation, and a 12 month validity)
- Written proof from the student's university or other appropriate body (in English or WITH a certified translation) that the student is insured for public and professional liability (including medical indemnity) while doing their elective in Australia.
Please ensure that you have signed everything in the application package before submitting it as unsigned applications will be rejected.
Once a placement is allocated, you will be asked to do the following:
- Pay the AU$100.00 Application Fee online. (See the menu link for Fees)
- Submit your evidence of protection for TB, pertussis, diphtheria, tetanus, varicella, measles, mumps and Rubella (via email).
- Organise a Criminal Record Check (CRC) from the country where you are currently residing (in English or WITH a certified translation and a 12 month validity). Please see our FAQs for further informaiton (send via post).
- Organise a National Police Check (NPC) from the Australian Federal Police (AFP) . This is required by the NSW Health Department. The application form and further information can be found on the AFP website NPC application. Please also see our FAQs for further informaiton (send via post).
Once your vaccinations have been approved, you will be asked to pay the Elective Fee online. (See the menu link for Fees)
The above documents must be submitted at least three months prior to the desired commencement date. Students should be aware that some documents (e.g. Criminal Record Check, National Police Check) take time to organise.
Students who wish to apply for an elective and are hoping to start in less than three months time should email the Electives Coordinator for advice before submitting an application package.
In accepting an elective placement, you will be required to abide by the guidelines of the University, the hospital and your supervisor.
Students are required to comply with the following policies: