To be able to complete the application package, you must have Adobe Reader 7 or higher. You may not be able to open the file if you are running an older version of Adobe Reader.
If you are using a public computer, please reset the Application Package after completing and printing it. Failure to do so may result in your details remaining when the next person opens the package on that computer.
To make an initial application for an elective with the Sydney Medical School - Northern, students are required to submit the following 3 documents via email as a colour scan (NO photos will be accepted):
- An Elective Application Package consisting of:
- Elective Application Form
- NSW Health Code of Conduct Agreement
- NSW Health Student Undertaking
- Prohibited Employment Declaration
- NSW Health Form 2. - Tuberculosis (TB) assessment tool
- NSW Health Form 3. - Student Undertaking/Declaration
- A letter of good standing from a senior staff member of the student's Medical School (in English or WITH a certified translation, and a 12 month validity)
- Written proof from the student's university or other appropriate body (in English or WITH a certified translation) that the student is insured for public and professional liability (including medical indemnity) while doing their elective in Australia.
Please ensure that you have signed everything in the application package before submitting it as unsigned applications will be rejected.
In order for students to benefit from their placements they should have a minimum English level of IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL 570. You University should include in your letter of good standing a paragraph on your English ability: either the language of instruction for your studies is entirely in English; OR that they are happy that your English ability is sufficient for you to gain an acceptable level of experience and skills from your elective placement, to satisfy their elective criteria.
Once a placement is allocated (conditionally offered), you will be asked to do the following:
- Pay the AU$100.00 Application Fee online. (See the menu link for Fees)
- Submit your evidence of protection for TB, hep B, pertussis, diphtheria, tetanus, varicella, measles, mumps and Rubella (via email).
- Organise a Criminal Record Check (CRC) from the country where you are currently residing (in English or WITH a certified translation and with a 3 year validity). Please see our FAQs for further information (send via post).
- Organise a National Police Check (NPC) from the Australian Federal Police (AFP) . This is required by the NSW Health Department. The application form and further information can be found on the AFP website NPC application. Please also see our FAQs for further informaiton (send via post).
Once your vaccinations have been approved, you will be asked to pay the Elective Fee online. (See the menu link for Fees and Refunds)
The above documents must be submitted no later than three months after the conditional offer is emailed to you. Students should be aware that some documents (e.g. Criminal Record Check, National Police Check) take time to organise.
Students who wish to apply for an elective and are hoping to start in less than three months time should email the Electives Coordinator for advice before submitting an application package.
In accepting an elective placement, you will be required to abide by the guidelines of the University, the hospital and your supervisor.
Students are required to comply with the following policies: