News

Chocolate fixes everything - except your pet


26 March 2018

Chocolate is a delicious treat for people but for our pets it can be dangerous.

During this holiday season, chocolate can be found anywhere through the home, in Easter baskets, on coffee tables, or in the kitchen.

We asked Dr Mara Hickey, our Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care expert, what are the signs of chocolate toxicity and what to do if you discover your pet has gobbled up your Easter eggs.



Dogs, cats and birds can develop signs of toxicity if they eat chocolate.The lighter the chocolate, the less toxic it is and darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is.Baking chocolate is the most toxic of all.

Things you might see if your pet has chocolate toxicity include: vomiting, diarrhoea, dangerously high heart rates, and blood pressure, muscle tremors, seizures, and even death.

Animals that are treated within a few hours of eating chocolate usually will be fine with appropriate care.

If you suspect your pet has eaten chocolate, please contact your local vet immediately to determine if they need to be seen.

To prevent problems, please keep chocolate away from your pets and that way, you can have a healthy, happy holiday together.