Registration – Local and overseas

Pre-registration nursing degrees from the University of Sydney are accredited by the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) and meet the requirements for registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) (previously the Nurses and Midwives Board, New South Wales).

Please note, registered nurses wishing to work overseas are individually responsible for ensuring they can satisfy the requirements of the relevant registering body, as registration requirements vary from country to country and from state to state. In many countries, registration requirements change over time, and it is important that nurses wishing to register overseas contact the relevant registration authority for the most current information.

Local | Overseas

Local registration requirements are different from overseas registration requirements. Sydney Nursing School can provide assistance in that process.

Local registration

If you have successfully completed a nursing or midwifery course in Australia, you are eligible* to apply for registration as a nurse through the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia which supervises registrations and renewals.

The Board will provide you with the statutory guidelines for registered nurses and midwives. Members of the public are entitled to expect nurses and midwives to conduct themselves in accordance with these guidelines and standards. The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) supports the NMBA and is responsible for regulating the health professions. Their primary role is to protect the public and they set the standards and policies that all registered health practitioners must meet.

Revised NMBA English Language Skills Registration Standard
A revised English language skills registration standard has been in place since 2011. For detailed information on the English language requirements for registration, please go to the NMBA website.

*Other criteria may also lead to eligibility. See the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia website.

Overseas registration

If you require OVERSEAS REGISTRATION, a different process will apply.